• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Predator Calling

Started by blacky, November 25, 2007, 06:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacky

I know a lot in here make predator calls but was wondering how many use electronic calls in conjunction with hand calls?

If so, WHY?
Complete line of turkey, locator, deer and squirrel calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

FinsnFur

I do, because the e-caller gets the sound away from me. I'm a real firm believer that when a coyote hears the call, he knows where that sound is located within a few yards.

Then a hand call gives the ability to critique a situation.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

I always use hand calls in conjunction with ecallers.  It allows you to make a setup that makes the coyote think the coyotes who have invaded his territory are on the move.  Makes it a realistic scenario.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HaMeR

I like the hand calls 1st on some setups. Just when the coyote thinks it's found the source of the sound you can redirect him for a shot. I've only shot 1 coyote but I've called in several. I wish I woulda had an e-caller on 2 different occasions.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

BigB

I started out using a homemade CD player e-caller that I built about 10 years ago.  It was a great instructional tool of what the sounds actually sound like, and how the game reacts to the sounds.  But it seems that the sounds got a little mundane, and I wished that I could change up the sounds a bit (tempo, pauses, etc) at certain points during the stand.  So, that is when I started using hand calls.  I can manipulate the sounds from hand calls to my liking whenever I want to.  The newer e-callers have a bunch of sounds on them, so I don't think the mundane sounds are a problem anymore.

I like the interaction with the game that I am calling, and the main interaction nowadays is my calling ability with hand calls vs the game being called.  Its my skills versus their instincts, the ultimate chess match.  Their instincts always makes me a better hunter and I learn something every time out.  I also like bragging rights, because I can say that I called it in with a call that I made or I called it in with my abilities.  :biggrin:  It just adds that extra special touch that makes the hunt even better.

The e-callers have their place and a lot of folks use them.  I am not dissin the e-callers, but I am not going to shell out the cash for one when the hand calls are doing just fine for me.  I don't have anyone or anything to blame but myself if I can't seal the deal when calling something in.

Calling game is primarily about having confidence in what you are trying to achieve.  If using an e-caller give ya more confidence with calling game, more power to ya.  If you are comfortable with just using hand calls, that's just fine too.  JMHO.

Brian

hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

CCP

When I use an E-caller my hand calls are always around my neck close by. I have found When a shy coyote comes it usally takes the hand calls to get him on in for the shot. A good E-caller can get him a comin but a good hand call will keep him a staying.

I love hunting with the minaska but once the coyote is comin I always stick a mouth call in my mouth. Reason is that it will always play what I want when I want. When they are close sometimes a quick bark or maybe 3  will make the difference.Even though those sounds are on my caller I can react with the mouth call much quicker.

QuoteI like the interaction with the game that I am calling, and the main interaction nowadays is my calling ability with hand calls vs the game being called.  Its my skills versus their instincts, the ultimate chess match.  Their instincts always makes me a better hunter and I learn something every time out.  I also like bragging rights, because I can say that I called it in with a call that I made or I called it in with my abilities.

I agree BigB I am with you on that statement
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

That's exactly it Rich, your not looking at your remote and finding which button will do what..your looking the coyote in the eye and ready for the shot.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Different strokes for different folks.  I don't have to look at my remote with the stick on buttons like I have it set up.  I sure don't want to put the coyote's attention on me when I have him coming by using a hand call.  If I have one hang up, I usually switch to the JIB and squeaker voice, and they zero in on that thing and come on in.  Having four true presets, a recall button, and control of the decoy gives me all the sounds I need on that particular stand.  That's what makes our sport so great. There are many ways to get the job done.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

wv_yoter

Great thread blacky! Browning started a similar one a while back but didn't get alot of response. I like to hear the many different ways people go about trying to accomplish the same thing. I guess it really is all about what your comfortable doing but also being able to try & learn something different. Thanks everyone.  :biggrin:
Jason