• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Something diffrent for me!

Started by keekee, January 12, 2008, 07:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

I found some Beavers we trapped out last week that liked to climb tree's? Out of all the years I been in the woods and trapped Beavers I have never seen this at all. Has anyone else seen this? Some of these tree's were cut off 12 feet or more off the ground!

Brent

FinsnFur

HYBRIDS!!

Gte outta of town now!  :holdon:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Thats strange...I've seen them cut trees up pretty high, but they are elevated by snow when they do it Then the snow melts giving the impression of beavers of monstrous proportions :shck: I'm sure you guys haven't twelve feet of snow down there though.

My other thought was porcupines. The trees that are just girdled have that classic porcupine look, but I have never seen a porcy fell a tree branch like that. They mainly just eat the bark and forget about the rest.

Jim may be right...you might have some Beavupines down your way :shrug: :confused: :shrug: :confused:

Seriously though...I would have to go with porcupines...I don't believe beavers have adapted to climb trees with those fat bodies and webbed feet yet.

Steve

keekee

Jim,

What? Come on! :innocentwhistle:

Steve,

I never seen a porcupine around here, and there were Beaver tracks all around those tree's. But I would take a porky!

Brent

studabaka

That is wild.... any chance there was high water?
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

canine

Looks like remnents of Ohio's deer slug season  :roflmao:

If'n thems beavers doin that, they most definately can climb or maybe their pulling the trees over to reach em from the ground :shrug: :confused:  :biggrin:

JD

keekee

QuoteLooks like remnents of Ohio's deer slug season 

LOL....I said that when we seen that...lol... :biggrin:

We get some high water but not that high. I thought that to along with snow drifts but they just don't get that high.

Its different for sure. Something I have never seen before for sure.

Brent

trappinjohn

That is wild  :confused:

We have tons of porcupines around here, but they only eat the bark.  Never known of one chew past the bark.

Could the area have been flooded that deep?

FinsnFur

I think the cut offs look too fresh to be very long ago, and by the looks of the under brush there's no way that place was under water recently.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

:confused: Crazy
Just curious, how big of area, how many trees are like this?
Scott

keekee

The area is huge, all along the river. There are area's like this in several different spots.

The water gets high in this area in the spring but never that high. Most of those tree's are back some off the river bottom. I looked the area over pretty good trying to put the puzzle together but all I could come up with is they were climbing the tree's?

Looked to be 20 plus tree's or more in this area that were cut like this.

We took 6 Beaver out of this area before we got ran out by the rain. All of them were 40 plus pounds, and they done some major damage to some tree's in there. There are still several beaver in the area but its going to haft to dry up before we can get back in there.

Brent

securpro

:shck: Brent what you have there is a classic sign of a Bigfoot,Sasquatch or as some people call them a Booger, You see they need to eat the bark for the sodiun it contains. Are the tops of the trees missing bark also?  Dont worry though your pretty safe... Their vegetarians ya know.  :eyebrow:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Coulter

Nah...I Think its one of those over ambitious archery hunters trying to cut some shooting lanes :biggrin:

Steve

KySongDog

That is way cool!  I've never seen anything like that before either.  Very interesting!

Semp

cathryn

or some VERY tall lumberjacks.  :biggrin:

not sure what did it. it depends on if youre in the west or somewhere else. I still think that theyre a result of high water but if your our west there is thestrong  possibility of porcupines.