• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Hunting stands with a dog....

Started by sdLBLhunter, December 11, 2007, 11:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdLBLhunter

I just got this Catahoula pup...hes about 5 months old, but I want to take him out hunting with me.  I've heard some people say a dog will make a coyote mad as all get out, and I was just wondering what you guys would think?  This guy is only about 35 pounds so hes small still so I don't know whether size would bother the yotes.  He might smell a little too much like human though since he stays inside a lot of the time.  What do you guys think?

FinsnFur

If you can get him to behave on a stand I'm sure with a little work he'd make a good decoy dog.
There's a couple people on here that have some good experience using dogs.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

http://www.finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=2738.msg29308#msg29308

This is a link to Jerry Hunsley's dog working a field.  Jerry might be a good person to contact with questions.

Jerry

possumal

Hawks Feather is telling you right about Jerry Hunsley.  He not only has one of the best decoy dogs alive today, he also knows about training them.  He is sure to help you out.  Another good contact would be Cal Taylor, who has a good video called Coyote Hunting is going to the dogs. I think 5 months may be a little young for taking your pup to the field, but it is just right for training him on basic obedience and things of that nature.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Bopeye

Jerry Hunsley is a great contact and hunts his Kemmer cur in Montana.
Cal Taylor is in Gillette, Wyoming and uses Kemmer curs as well.

Another good contact would be Dan Edwards in Illinois. His mountain curs actually kill the coyotes for him.
Another good contact would be Darrel Frye of Elko, Nevada. He's been line breeding for years from a Kemmer mtn. Cur named Stryker.
He uses them on Mtn. Lion, bear, bobcat and coyotes. He has quite a following of ADC men that swear by his Stryker bred dogs.
Harold Waddel of California would be another good contact. He uses both Original Mtn. Cur and Kemmer Mtn. Cur to coyote hunt with and kills over 100/year using his dogs for decoys. Claims getting triples with using his dogs.

Whatever happend to Murphy Love or Merv Griswold? Didn't they use dogs?

I'm giving it a shot myself........Or at least I was until my back went bad. Gonna try again during Christmas shutdown.  :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

possumal

Unless something has changed drastically, Jerry Hunsley does not use a Kemmer Cur. Wiley is a Blackmouth Cur, same breed as Old Yeller.  Murphy Love and Cal Taylor still hunt a lot together.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

vvarmitr

I seen awhile ago that Merv was guiding coyote hunts.  I have those Videos Dogging Coyotes 1 & 2.  Two favorites for sure; excellent footage.

I have a Kemmer Stock Mtn Cur I wanted to use for coyotes, but I just don't have time to train him.  :sad:  :madd:

Cal Taylor has been writing articles in Predator Extreme about training your coyote dog. :wink:

Bopeye

Quote from: possumal on December 18, 2007, 07:08:06 AM
Unless something has changed drastically, Jerry Hunsley does not use a Kemmer Cur. Wiley is a Blackmouth Cur, same breed as Old Yeller.  Murphy Love and Cal Taylor still hunt a lot together.

That's right........forgot his was a Ladner cur. Hope he forgives me........ :wink:
All the cur breeds claim the Old Yeller dog, OMC, BMC, Kemmer, Stephens.........who knows for sure. Good movie though........ :yoyo:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

ohiobob

I have never Hunted Coyotes with Dogs, but I guy I worked with was just starting to hunt Coyotes with his Buddy's Dogs
It sounds like it would be a LOAD of Fun to do it though  :yoyo:
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???