• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

building a long range "bean field" deer rifle. Have a couple questions???

Started by Buckrun, December 23, 2007, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckrun

I have posted this question on a couple boards to get the opinions of as many people as possable.

I am building a Rem. 700. I will be chambering it in 300 Win. Mag. The rifle will be used for long range deer hunting in GA. The plan is to use the 168 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip.

I will be ordering a Lilja barrel and have been wondering what twist to use.

I bought a home shop last year and have been learning how to use all the equipment. I started this project in Oct. and have gotten this far.

Here is what I have done so far.
RECEIVER
1. Trued the receiver face and bolt lugs.
2. Ran a 1 1/16" into the receiver threads tap to clean and true the threads. (I don't know how much good that did but it did cut a little metal.)
3. Installed a new bolt stop spring.
4. Installed a new ejector spring.

BOLT
1. Trued the bolt lugs front back and around the circumference, bolt nose around the circumference of the bolt nose and the bolt face.
2. Jeweled the bolt.
3. Fit a new firing pin and installed a heaver spring.
4. Polished the cocking ramp.

I checked the trigger pull and it came out at 2lb.
Safety works fine I will check it again after everything is finished.

Now I have to decide what stock I am going to use and find out what barrel contour I want. I also need to get my chamber reamer and go no-go gauges. This stuff will end up costing more than double what I paid for the rifle.

Here is a link to a sight where I have posted a lot of pictures of the work.

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=450a0bd34fb1830f9f4d0155d53c7762;act=ST;f=3;t=19324

What twist will work with the Nosler 168 gr ballistic tip?
I will be getting a H S presision stock. Possabily a Tactical or Pro Series. Which do you think would be best for a "bean field" deer rifle?
Which barrel profile?
I really don't want to go with a real heavy barrel and no muzzle break PLEASE! :holdon: To hard on my ears.
Steve

Jimmie in Ky

Not to sure what twist rate you should use either. Never got that deep into custom rigs. But I have to agree that you should use as light a contour on that barrel as possible and still get the accuracy it's built for. I am quite fond of what a friend of mine calls a number 6 marine taper. Not a bull barrel but not field grade stuff either. He has used this on one of the heavy rifles he had built. It was a shooting son of a gun, pardon the pun  :wink: Everything he had built was based on 30 cal barrels. His last rifle was a 308 bear. Jimmie

Carolina Coyote

Buckrun, Probably 1 in 10 will work for the 300 with a 168 grain bullet, There is a book "Gunsmithing Rifles " by Patrick Sweeney  that has a section on determining the proper twist, It has a chart for different Calibers with the proper twist for the bullet but does not have the 300 listed.  You also might call Lilja Barrel or Shilen barrel and they can tell you exactly what you need.cc

coyotehunter_1

Posted by: Carolina Coyote
QuoteYou also might call Lilja Barrel or Shilen barrel and they can tell you exactly what you need.cc

From Shilen's website:
http://www.shilen.com/index.html
-------------------------------------------------------------

Calibers & twists (snip)
http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html

- 8" for bullets heavier than 220gr.
- 10" for bullets up to 220gr.
- 12" for bullets up to 170gr.
- 13"* Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 14"* for bullets up to 168gr.
- 15"* for bullets up to 150gr.
- 17"* for bullets up to 125 gr.
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Buckrun

Wow I was starting to think nobody here read my post. Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with a 1 in 10 or 1 in 11. I have been discussing this on another board also. They have me convinced to try a 180 grain bullet also and this twist would be good for both.

There are a lot more barrel makers out there than I thought. But I think I will still go with the Lilja on this one.

Steve

Hawks Feather

I read it several times, but I just let my barrel twist decisions up to my gunsmith.  I figure he knows better than me.  I do like medium weight and tapers on my barrels.  I also like the looks of fluted barrels.  Since you are all set up the fluting shouldn't be much of a problem.

Jerry

FOsteology

If it were me, I'd go with a 26" Lilja #5 fluted 1-10 twist and bed it to a McMillan M40A-1 (HTG) stock. I'd also go the BDL route and dump the factory pot metal for a Williams assembly.

Something sorta like this:

Or a McMillan A5 stock since this will be a bean field rifle

Buckrun

FOsteology

Steve,

Do yourself a BIG favor and look at the McMillan or Manner stocks. Superior to the HS, B&C, etc.

The red/black rifle:

Patriot Arms built 223 Ackley Imp.
Remigton s/a 700
McMillan Htg Mag filled Red/Black Swirl
Broughton fluted #6 1-8 5c barrel
Williams bottom metal
Rifle Basix Trigger
Custom Red/Black metal coating
Seeking base and rings
Patriot Bolt knob
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22-50 R1
Weighs around 12-13lbs

I need to point out though that this is NOT my rifle. Rifle belongs to a gentleman in FL that has built himself a few interesting rifles.

Ridge Runner

I'd go at least a 10 twist, overstabilizing a bullet will not effect hunting accuracy and will enhanse terminal performance due to faster rotation. Besides ya never know, once you get the LR thing figured out ya may wanna extend your range and shoot long high BC bullets to cut back your wind drift. I'd also look at a broughton 5C barrel about 28" long, they shoot great and faster with less pressure than average.
Give the a-max's, bergers, and SMK's a go, not the best hunting bullets, but work well at LR, and shoot great.
  I've got my 7mm Allen just about maxed out range wise with the 160 accubond, next year I think I'll step up to the 200 gr. wildcats and work on my trajectory to 1200 yds.
RR