• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Decoy Dog Training

Started by Jerry Hunsley, December 18, 2007, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Hunsley

Somewhere on here I saw that someone needed information on training a decoy dog. I am in no way an expert or authority on training these dogs. I just want to clarify that. In fact I have only had one good decoy dog and that is Wiley. They are truly an amazing tool  when you have a good one. My dog was trained primarily with one that was already a seasoned dog. I can tell you some things about training them just from my point good or bad. A couple names that come into play on training one, Merv Griswold and Cal Taylor. They both have good DVD"s out  and might be of some help. Some things I have learned are you have to have a lot of patiience and praise your dog a lot. Teach him to come back when you feel he is too far out or in trouble. Teach him to sit by you when your calling and have him go out when you want him to. A dog that doesn't mind will soon get himself in trouble or killed. Too agressive dog is a no no. Direct engagement is not wanted as you will be going to the vet for a sew up job. In my experience, it takes a dog quite awhile to figure out what you want him to do. That's where the praise comes in. The more you take him out the better they become. I had a lot of dry runs with Wiley. These dogs are plenty smart and are quite tough. I think Merv starts his dogs out about 6 months old on a pc. of coyote. Another important part is getting your dog used  of a shot.  Start out with just shorts or somthing small. I would take Wiley and make him sit next to me and then I would fire a pistol.  Pretty soon they will get use to it or go the other way. I guess I would say to do the following things I have mentioned and when he gets to about a year old take him with you out calling and see how he reacts to a coyote. They will pick some of it up on their own and when he does somthing you like , praise the heck out of him. He will soon pick it up. That's about all I can say about training dogs. What really helped in my case was having a seasoned dog to go hunting with. Wiley would follow the other dog and watch what was going on.  Pretty soon your dog will smell the coyote or see it long before you and he will alert you to a coyote. The first time I called a coyote , the wind was blowing in my face and He started growling. He had never smelled a coyote orther that the pc. of coyote fur. He smelled the coyote and started a low growl. Pretty soon over the hill came the coyote, I shot it and took Wiley over there and he wanted nothing to do with it. This went on for some time and I would encourage him to take a bite for his reward,. I never encoraged him to take on a live coyote head to head. That has happened a few times but so far he has come out alright,. Hope this helps a little bit. Time  in field and patience are very important.  It is not a good idea to yell at these dogs as it will only work against you. I have found that out. It just seems to confuse the dog. When you get him to do what you want, then the fun begins and then you are rewarded. The plan all comes together and you have a great hunting partner. All I have to do now is put my hunting clothes on and my dog go wild. He's ready to go. They have great eyesight and instincts.

Bopeye

With your permission Jerry, I would like to copy and paste this article for the future.

Sorry about getting your dog wrong too.........forgot it was a Ladner.  :innocentwhistle:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Jerry Hunsley