• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

? for you 22 hornet shooters

Started by trappinjohn, December 10, 2007, 06:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trappinjohn

WOOO HOOOO!!!!!

Wife said I could get a new gun for Christmas.  Going to order me a CZ 527 this week.  Just wondering what bullets (grain and type) you guys like for fox / coyote hunting?...  What brand of ammo?...  Planning on reloading, what loads shoot the best for you?

Thanks in advance

vvarmitr

What I've been told is to use Rem 6 1/2 primers or even the small pistol primers for accurate performance.
I have a 17AIHornet that I bought some small pistol primers for. Now all I need is time. :sad:

BTW small rifle & small pistol primers are the same size. :wink:

blackfish

TrappinJohn,           I have a old savage model #23D -22 Hornet which is sweet piece!  If I was going to buy a new Hornet I also would go to CZ!!! :biggrin:  I started reloading with 10 grains of IMR 4198 - Sierra's SP 45grainers -6 1/2 Rem.small rifle primers but have not shot them as of yet. Before hand I shot the Hornady factory 35 grs varmint express cartridges  at near 1"  +/ -   groups at 100yds. although I think this 35 gr. might be a little light for Coyotes unless you were on top of them but good fox medicine!  I think your going to like  the CZ ,Good Luck!!
JMac
You don't never wanta do no assumtin' !
            Henry Frapp

Hidalgo

WSR primers, 35 VMax, 13.0gr of Lil Gun.  Some use pistol primers, but we haven't done that yet.  Lil Gun is THE powder for the Hornet.  As much as you can stuff in the case is still a safe load.  :wink:

Ladobe

Great present from a great wife.    :yoyo:   

The Hornet has always been a fun cartridge and reasonably cheap to shoot too if you reload (but factory ammo is $$$).   It can be finicky in most firearms though, so usually requires lots of playing with reloads to find what an individual firearm likes best.   The load data for one firearm may not work well in another, and if on the hotter side could also be dangerous in it.   Doesn't take much extra powder to push a small case over the top, sometimes only 1 or 2 tenths of a grain.   So working up from lower loads is always the best way to go on a new Hornet.   As suggested, for consistency using small pistol primes often helps, and most Hornets like at least a light crimp too.

Powder choice is a long one for the Hornet.   Just off the top of my head... 680/1680, 2400, 4227, 4198, 2015BR, 296, RL-7, H110, BL-C2, N110/N120, Enforcer, Bullseye, LilGun and probably others have all been used with acceptable results.

The bullet list is also long with just about anything from 30-55 grain workable depending on the load/barrel twist.   

I've tried most of the powders in my Hornets over the years, but back when I was last shooting them I was using WC680, LilGun and N120 for powders.    Tried most of the bullets too.   I am still not out of the 32 grain V-Max bullets I bought bulk when Hornady didn't use them for a Remington 22MAG ammo project that fell through in the 90's, and my Low Wall loved them.    But I also shot a lot of Win 46 gr. OPE's and Sierra 45 gr. Hornet pills in mine during the later years. 

My "go to" 22 Hornet up until about 8-10 years ago was a Browning 1885 Low Wall - replaced with a 1949 BRNO ZKW465, although I shot a lot in my TC Contender barrels for years as well.   But getting into the 17 Ackley Hornets nearly a decade ago put the last nail in the coffin for my 22 Hornets.   With three 17AH's the 22 Hornets got retired to the back of the safe.   They are superior in every way than a standard or improved Hornet (IMO) if you don't mind making the brass.

The 17 & 22 Hornets are an excellent choice for fox - almost like they were made for each other. 

Have fun with your Hornet.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

trappinjohn

Thanks for the help guys.

Gun is ordered, should have it next week sometime.  I have some 4227 and 2400 powder.  Planning on getting some Lil'gun later, seems like a lot of guys like it.

Also ordered:

Sierra Varminter Bullets 22 Hornet (223 Diameter) 40 Grain Jacketed Soft Points
Hornady V-Max Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 35 Grain
Barnes Varmint Grenade Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 36 Grain Hollow Point

Figured I'd try .223 and .224 since the CZ has .223 groove.   Most guys are telling me they see no accuracy difference.

trappinjohn

Well I finally got to shoot my new CZ today.  So far I'm VERY impressed.  This is with Hornady ammo, 35 gr V-Max shot from an old picnic table without sandbags at 50 yards.  Love the set trigger also.  Can't wait to get to the range and play with some reloads on a real bench.

bigben

looks good john.  you making it to arons camp in a few weeks? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

trappinjohn

Yep, I'll be there.  Hopefully the snow isn't too deep.

bigben

how much snow does he normally have?  I hope he does not have more then a few inchs.  us southern pa hunters are used to sloppy muddy fields not deep snow. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.