• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

just something that might be of interest

Started by Ridge Runner, November 23, 2007, 03:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge Runner

Well as y'all know I'm real anal about ballistics, opening morning of season found me not in quest for a shooter buck, but a yearling doe for my mom-n-law, well when I saw one I was ready, I got my rifle set up, ranged the distance, set my drops and windage. I loaded the bipod, adjusted the rear bag, double checked the level and gave the tuned trigger on my 700 an 18 oz message and sent a 139 gr lapua on the way.
As the big rifle settled down from recoil, I heard the resounding whack of the bullet, as I reaquired the sight picture, the yearling fell over flopping like a fish

RR

Silencer

Thats a pretty good, actually awesome shot right there !! 

vvarmitr

Loved that story!!! :yahoo:
WTG Ridgerunner!
Is that your lovely daughter filling in the "GAP" for M-I-L?  :laf:
Looks like your barrel is over 30"  :wo:
Tell me more about your rig. :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Yeah nice job.
I'm checking out your bang stick too. Let's hear some more about that. She definitely doesnt look factory made. :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

There wasn't much of a stalk on that hunt, but the results were the same.  I would like to hear more about the rifle.  I know that it is a long range rifle which is obvious from the shot you made, but any additional info would be appreciated.  If I am correct, the 6.5 Gibbs takes a 270 or 06 case and gets necked down to .264.   While not sure, I assume there is also a change in the shoulder similar to an Ackley chamber.  How close am I?

Jerry

Ridge Runner

your right on hawk, Rocky Gibbs version was a 30/06 necked to .264, the shoulder pushed foreward far enough to allow one caliber of neck length changed to 35 degrees and the body taper removed. Mine is the same thing only the reamer used was a 270 case length to utilize that extra .046" of neck to help hold those long high BC 140 gr 6.5 bullets.
The rifle started life as a rem 700 bdl  Ray Romain installed a 1/8 kreiger fluted senduro weight barrel finished up at 29.5", its bedded in a joel russo A5-l stock, glass is a leupold 6.5x20x50 mark4, M1, TMR setting in burris ETR's  fastened to a seekins precision 20 MOA base.
The load used in the rifle is a 139 gr lapua scenar (BC of .615) running 3280 fps from 60 gr of re22 lit up with a CCI BR primer.
groups run well under 2" at 500 with me thumbing the trigger and have came very close to 1" on several occasions.
RR

Ridge Runner

oh and vvarmintr, not sure of paternity but I'm raising her and she looks more like me than her mom, but those UPS guys are sneaky!  :roflmao:
RR

FinsnFur

Reminds me of that movie "Shooter"  :eyebrownod:
Nice set up Ridge Runner :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bopeye

That's one heck of a shot, but it sure is a long way to retrieve your vittles.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

vvarmitr

Just like in Shooter he probablly has a big dog that goes & retrieves it for him.  :laf:

How about a couple more pix of that LD wacker stick.  Maybe have that cute little GAP model displaying it for ya. :biggrin:

Surprised you used the bipod for that long a shot.  :huh:  Not me! My Dog Gone Good Bag, but not a bipod. :noway:

BTW I know this UPS driver that looks an awlful lot like .......  :innocentwhistle:                  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Ridge Runner

vv, omce ya get used to shooting off a bipod its almost as accurate as a rest, ya gotta preload the bipod, (put about the rifles weight worth of foreward pressure on it. I use a piece of closed cell foam cut in the shape of a wedge of cheese about 4" thick and 10" long, I adjust the pod close, then slide the wedge back or forth under the butt to get on target. all my shooting over 100 yds is off a bipod.
I'll work on getting a couple pics of the gibbs, meanwhile here's another one to slobber over

built by kirby Allen of Allen Precision shooting
Rem 700 LH, lilja 30" 1/9 #8, chambered in 7mm Allen Mag (sort of a 7mm/338 Lapua AI) richards thumbhole varninter 2 1/2 ' stock, holland brake, badger recoil lug and extractor HSP DBM 4x16x56 XOTIC USS in IOR rings on weaver bases
Puts a 160 accubond downrange at 3500 fps loaded mildly here's a fireform group

RR

Ridge Runner

had 4 days of private land deer season after christmas, went to a new area where I was given permission to hunt, the field was huge. diagonal it was 860 yards corner to corner.
Had 2 buddies that wanted to witness this long range hunting, so at daylight we were along the field edge watching the woods at the top edge of the field, As I checked my current conditions I was bombarded with ?'s about the whats, why's and hows of the effects each one had on the bullets flight. I showed them the kestrel, how to check the wind, and bar pressure. I got the info into my exbal program set the rifle up just in time to here one of the guys whisper, 2 deer in the field at 11:00, I ranged the larger doe at 611 yards, added the elevation and 3/4 moa windage, settled behind the rifle, put the "X" on her neck and messaged the trigger of my 7mm Allen Mag, 1/2 second after the report she just melted.
Then a deer stepped into a cutout for a gasline, ranged her at 985 yds, checked my drops, set the dial along with 2 MOA windage, settled the crosshairs behind her shoulder and squeezed, 1.1 seconds later I cringed when I saw the bullet hit dirt just under her, she left fast.
I immediately rechecked my numbers and noticed that I needed 14.25 MOA to make a 985 yard zero, I had in my haste only put 12.5 moa on it, yep, there's the miss!
About 1:30, one of the guys whispers deer, south corner, he shot with the lieca 1200, the range was 822 yards.
I hit the rifle dialed 10 moa of up (86") and 2 moa left wind (16") put the crosshair on mid shoulder and squeezed, at the crack of the rifle, it was .8 seconds before the deer was driven to the ground by the 160 accubond hitting within 1" of POA.
I told the guys that they were up next, I was out of tags, so the first to shoot had never killed a deer past 125 yards, his deer was ranged at 567 yds. I instructed him as to where and why to turn the knobs on the scope, set the focus till the target didn't jump around behind the crosshair, then just breathe and squeeze, bang/flop!
The next guys deer cameout before the echo of the rifle left the valley, 721 yards, He maned the rifle and once again I showed him what we were compensating for and he took his shot, the deer was dead before it fell.
These guys were completely amazed that this is possible, and said it was the most excitement they'd had for a long time. If they don't get interested in LR shooting at least they got to experience it. Done properly its not to terribly diffacult.
RR

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers