• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I'm back again,calling season in progress.(pics)

Started by blakcoyote, January 05, 2008, 07:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakcoyote

Been gone awhile,been busy with trapping and trap mods and doing a little writing on the side,but I'm back to calling coyotes and doing a little snaring(cable restraints) now.

Got out to do some calling Sunday with Mike(tcusparky) who was up for the holidays .Stand #6 gave up a nice male.We were calling an old beaver pond,one of my honey holes,it gave up many coyotes to the call and rifle.Today was no different.We sat down amoung the swamp grass and driftwood stumps.I started on my Tally-Ho and screamed like a rabbit caught by the tail.After about 10 min. I glanced over at Mike and seen he was tracking something through his scope.I looked hard and finally see the head of a coyote looking through the grass.I was waiting for the report of  his  22-250 striker pistol,but nothing.

The coyote started to head to our downwind side,I hit the Tally-Ho with a couple muffled squeals and stopped him.I put the cross hairs on his throat because thats all I had to work with,he was standing looking straight on at me.In a second I touched the trigger on my .243 and the coyote sunk in the tall grass.He was done.Mike ranged it at 154yds. on his Lieca(sp?),not bad off the knee.Heres some pics Mike took of me and the yote.He was a nice male.Turns out Mikes sling swivel hung up on his shooting sticks and couldn't get the shot off.

Can't wait to do some more calling with you Mike.Hope everyone is having a good year.

Duane

wv_yoter

Jason

Hawks Feather

FinsnFur

Welcome back, nice little story ya shared there too.
That coyote certainly looks like he was eating well.

If I remember right, both you and Mike are in Wis....how far north are you?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

blakcoyote

Yep,from WI.,Mikes down towards Milw.,I'm up here in Langlade Co.

Thanks.

Arkyyoter

Smith

Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

vvarmitr

Thanks for the story & pix!  :biggrin:
BTW thank Mike for that excuse. ;yes;  Ya never have to many.  :innocentwhistle:

Dogwood Creek

blakcoyote

Thanks everyone.
Arky,he weighed 38#,I can't seem to catch or call anything bigger.I've been weighing coyotes the last 5 years or so and have yet had one break the 38# mark.I've caught some and shot some you'd swear would go 40-50,but end up 36-38,must be the fur that makes them look heavier.I did catch my smallest coyote this year,14# wasn't much bigger than a fox it had a healed up broken hind quarter and was a YOY. Caught this female today in a cable restraint today,weighed 29#.

ErictheRed

That winter coat makes him look much bigger.  Very nice!