• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Frogman's photos

Started by Frogman, February 05, 2008, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Wow!  What a great hunt with a wonderful group of guys.  wv_yoter, his friend from PA Mike, and I left WV early Thursday morning for the 9 hour drive to LBL.  Mikes friend Donnie was to join us later.  Even the drive down was fun as three enthusiastic coyote hunters discussed hunting tactics.  We brought too much stuff!!!
       On Friday morning the alarm went off at 4:00 AM.  After breakfast where we met some of the other guys we were on stand in area 7 about 7:30 am.  Jason (wv_yoter) and I  hunted together and Mike and Donnie from PA teamed up.  At about 9:00 AM the cell phone buzzed.  Donnie had killed a dog on their second stand at about 8:30 AM.  It was his first.  Way to go Donnie. :highclap:
Here is Donnie's dog hanging in front of our cabin;

Jason and I did eight stands on Friday with no success.   :confused:
       We enjoyed dinner at the restaurant and got to meet some more of the guys.  You couldn't ask for a friendlier group. :yoyo:
        On Saturday morning it was up again at 4:00 AM and after another fine breakfast (that lady at the resaurant was great!!)  :congrats:  We decided to try Area 1.  On our second stand of the morning we set up along a horse road.  Jason set up facing the upwind hollow and I setup accross the road from him covering the downwind.  Jason's Foxpro was near the road between us.  Jason was going to do some howls then go to the Foxpro.  Before he could begin and before I was really set we heard a pack of dogs really cut loose below Jason on his side of the road in the hollow below him and on the ridge accross from him.  I decided to change locations to Jasons's side of the road and a little further out from him where I could see down into the next hollow past him and see out the road a little ways.  Jason still had not begun calling.  When he did do some howls the dogs lit up again.   This was great.  We are not used to dogs vocalizing in the day time in WV.  About 15 minutes into the stand Jason was playing "chicken distress" on the Foxpro.  Thought he would try something they hadn't heard!  The coyote came up the road to my right.  I had set up my shooting stick in that direction because it is the most awkward direction for a right handed shooter to shoot.  Here is a photo of where I was sitting:

As soon as the dog came into view it hesitated,  the sun was shining right in it's face and the wind was in my favor, but that dog still knew something wasn't right.  It started trotting from my right to left moving away from me down the ravine I was facing.  At about 30 yards it reached a place where I had a clear shot through the trees. 

The dog was quartering away from me when I shot her behind the left shoulder.  The 60 grain .223 V-Max from the AR bang flopped her on the spot.  You can see the dogs white belly in the center of the photo. 

Here you can see the exit wound.  Love those V-Maxes!
This was nice healthy female.

Here is Jason with the dog.  He did the calling, I just did the shooting, that's the easy part.

Our hero shot:

Thanks Jason for bringing this dog in front of my gun.
Jason and I came back in on Saturday about 3:00 PM.  We enjoyed the chilie dinner and the drawing of donated gifts.  Thanks to all F&F guys who helped put this event together and to all those who donated items for the drawing.  The Studabaka skunk hide and the Jimmie Viniard call drawn for me were great.  Thanks guys.  It was neat getting to meet you guys face to face.  Everyone was very friendly and some even recognized me from photos I have posted in the past I suppose.
         The WV and PA contingent are already making plans to come back next year.
         Do we have time for one more stand? :yahoo:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Jeb

Great story and pics !!! Thanks for posting and Congrats !!!! :congrats: :congrats:
                        Jeb

HaMeR

Hefty lookin coyote Jim!! Way to go!! Looks like I'll be learnin from you guys next week!!  :thumb2: :thumb2:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Roundman

That was a good looking dog  :congrats: good job guys.

Frogman

HaMer,
      We are really looking forward to your visit.  We had a great time at LBL, wish you could have been there. 

Jim

studabaka

Yeah HaMeR..... I brought the mustard and everything  :holdon:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

HaMeR

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:  @ Stu!!!!  I'm happy for you buddy!! I'm glad you got that coyote this time around. Congraqtulations!!  :eyebrownod:

Hi Jim. I had a choice & chose the bobcat hunt. If I'm not hooked on cat hunting after next week I'll hit the LBL. Are you getting this rain or is it North of you guys?
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Frogman

Good story and pics!

Great meetin ya and Jason at the LBL.  Lookin forward to next year!

Semp

HaMeR

I just reprogrammed the FX3 here when I realized  :hahaha: your coyote was 2nd to fall to the funky chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:  :thumb2: :thumb2:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

DirtyDog

Great work fellas.....awsome yote!!!!!

Quote from: studabaka on February 05, 2008, 12:27:17 PM
Yeah HaMeR..... I brought the mustard and everything  :holdon:

I was a little dissappointed that Bill forgot the ketchup.  :rolleye:

wv_yoter

Jim, the calling part wasn't as difficult as moving that sun into her eyes :eyebrow:
Jason

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Great story and great pictures.  Congratulations.  :highclap:

It was good to meet you guys and I'm glad you made it home safe.

See you there next year.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

songdog

Great story and nice pics.... Congrats on the yote frogman  :congrats:

vvarmitr

Thanks for the story & the pix w/ the set up Jim.

Sure hope to get some trigger time w/ you & Jason since you're only a couple hours away. :wink:

Frogman

Hey vvarmitr we would enjoy that.  wv_yoter and I both plan to get our OH liscense nest year.  We could join you or you could come over here and help us devise a plan to get to several packs we are having trouble killing.  Even better, we could do both!!

Jim

vvarmitr

I like the way you think Jim.  :wink:  :biggrin:

possumal

That story and photo deserves a double ribot, Frogman!  Extra nice female. :highclap: :highclap:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FinsnFur

Nice coyote for sure.
Looks like most every had a dang good time. There must be some kind of violation for that....I didn't get any smoke in MY eyes. :sneer:

Thanks for the pics, Jim
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

Great story and pic's Frogman! Thanks for sharing and congrads on a great hunt! It was also good to mee you!

Brent