• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Good Sunday morning for Possumal

Started by possumal, April 27, 2008, 01:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Had a nice hunt this morning, one of those spur of the moment deals that ended up good.  I woke up with my back killing me as usual, about 30 minutes before first light.  Somehow I got the get up and go going, threw some water in my face, jumped into my hunting clothes and headed to a place about two miles out of town.  It is a good spot, but requires a long walk as all gates are locked on the weekend.  The wind was absolutely perfect to go to my favorite spot, which is about 3/4 mile back the farm road.  I managed to get to one of my favorite places on the property, and the wind was right to try one of my favorite tricks.  It has worked well for me 5 or 6 times on this particular farm.  There is a wooded area that runs for about 400 yds along the edge of a gigantic field that is wide open except for some week choked draws where they can't plow.  All that open area has had lime disked into the soil.  There are 3 big oaks down at the lower end of a swag with a skinny little sapling on the side of the oaks that is a perfect place to hang your ecaller in such a way as the coyotes cannot see where the sound is coming from when they poke their head over a little rise that comes up from the bottom to the wooded area.  My perch is about 100 yds on up the hill by a big locust tree.  I gave them a couple of samples of Brent Saxton's yip howl, followed by my pup howl sound on my FX-5.  Almost instantly, I saw two stick their head over that rise like I have seen several other times with that setup.  They have it pinned down pretty well, but they can't actually see through those big oaks to see if there really is an invader there.  So they dropped back to their side of the ridge, just like I knew they would, and I gave them another sample of Brent's yip howl.  Sure as hell, about 30 seconds later, there they were crossing the ditch at the bottom, heading to the higher ground where they can stop and look back down to where that invader is supposed to be.  Like Old Uncle Jay always says "They will stop, they always do" and he was right again.  I busted this big 41 lb. male at about 160 yds, but never could get the other one to come back in to the playing field.  I drug him up to a sapling, and skinned him out as I needed a fresh hide to work my Cur pup with, and then decided to make one more stand on the way back to the truck.  Gave them a different sound at this stand, "Coyotes killing a goat", one of my sequences made with Goldwave, and when it got down to the part where the goat is dying, here comes a yote slipping along a weedy ditch that feeds down through the pasture to a woods.  I stopped him at about 125 yds with the Sceery squeaker on my rifle, and put one of those 70 grain Blitz king slubs dead center in his chest, and man did it mess him up. Must have hit the main bone in the chest as it blew 4 or 5 big holes out through his sides.  Too hot to drag that rascal in, so this old man deposited him in a big sinkhole nearby.  Some of you newer hunters keep in mind to place your ecaller where you make the yotes pay to see where the sound is coming from.  In both of these setups, they weren't likely to get downwind from the caller due to the way the open areas are laid out on this particular farm.  In a case like that, I make them pay for the privilege of getting to a point where they can see where the sound is coming from.  Here are a couple of pictures of the 41 lb. male, pretty good fur for this late too. I hope my Cur pups tears it all to hell.  :laf:

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Bopeye

That'll do Donkey.....that'll do.  :wo: :huh: Sorry, that was off of my son's Shrek movie.  :innocentwhistle:

Good hunting Al...... :congrats: :biggrin: :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Nelson

Thanks for the pics and story, and the learning experience.

Nelson

wv_yoter

Jason

vvarmitr

Good story & pix.  :biggrin:

That is sooo cool!

Frogman

I enjoy these stories with photos.  Seems like I learn something from every one of them.  Like "make them pay to see where the sound is coming from"!

Thanks Al
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

possumal

Thanks to all for the kind comments.  Frogman, you will notice when you watch closely what different experienced coyote hunters say that there are some things that seem to always match.  "Making them pay to see where the sound is coming from" and "Making them pay to get the wind" are both things that you learn in time from experience.  We sometimes word it differently, but it is basically the same techniques.  I have always tried to pay a lot of attention to the guys like Rich Cronk, Brent Saxton, Jay Nistetter, Cal Taylor, and the list goes on and on.  Sometimes you find out something that is just a little different from what you have been doing that you can work into your methods.  Nothing works all the time except old Wiley's senses.  A late, great trapper named Clay Smith used to rabbit hunt with me when I had some good beagles, and when I got interested in coyote hunting, he told me "Al, if you want to have success hunting coyotes, you need to learn to think like a coyote".  Best advice I ever got from any one source.  My wife says it has backfired on me and I have gone to the dogs!   :laf: :laf: I'm afraid she is right.   Hell, I may be evolving from a marsupial to a coyote!  I hope that doesn't mean one of these guys may call me in and whack me some day!   :roflmao: :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

alscalls

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
We would have to out think ya first..............that could take a while :confused: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

:wo:  Iffen I had to out think ya .... you'd be safe from me for quite awhile.  :laf: