• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

barrel length

Started by northern coyote, June 19, 2008, 08:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northern coyote

on a shotgun, does barrel length really matter, like, using the right chokes, could I successfully use a 20" barrel for trap? I'm looking at buyin either the stoeger condor outback (o/u) or their coachgun (sxs) and I was wonderin how they would do as  field/competition guns
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

alscalls

I am old fashoned when it comes to this subject and some will disagree but thats OK they have not shot against me yet in a turkey shoot but.............Longer the barrel the BETTER I will not go in to great detail but for trap get what youre comfortable with and to carry around in the woods for miles short guns work fine. but to whack an animal down hard and fast and reach out and smack em shots LONG BARRELS RULE. Just my two cents but I own both long and short barrels. :shrug: they all have thier place.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hawks Feather

Can you use a 20 inch, sure.  Will it do as well as a longer barrel on some things, probably not.  I think it will really depend what you are planning to use the shotgun for.  Short barrels usually open up the pattern quicker than longer barrels - assuming they both have the same choke.  If the shots are close the short barrel will work.  If you are flushing pheasants 25 yards out, you will need to have a little luck and be quick on your shot.  All of that being said, I have shot a few short barrel shotguns and they are fun to shoot, but I would not be able to put much food on the table with one.  But then again, that is with me shooting it. 

Jerry

northern coyote

yeah, I'm tryin to find a gun that'll double as a "fun gun" to shoot clay birds (skeet, trap) with and also for huntin the thick brush around my region for woodcock, grouse etc

KySongDog

With the advent of the new powders, barrel length isn't as important as it was years ago.  Back when I was a young'un, 30 inch barrels were common.  Some even went to 36 inches.  The extra length was needed to burn the powder completely.  Today it is not necessary.  I use a 24 inch barrel for everything.  Just change chokes.   But I don't think I want to go any shorter than 24 inch on a hunting shotgun.  Sight radius becomes a factor on longer shots. 

Of course this is IMHO and YMMV.   :biggrin:

Semp

northern coyote

Hawks Feather

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

YMMV - Your Millage May Vary

Just my FWIW answer (For What It's Worth)   :biggrin:

Jerry

KySongDog

Yep, that be it.   :eyebrownod:

Thanks Jerry. 

Semp

alscalls

A good brush beater is a mossburg 500 with the 28 inch barrel. Hard to beat it for the price. My buddy has one and it shoots real good. Mine has the old poly choke on it  :eyebrow: I will never leave that old gun :nono:
AL

Kuipdog

I shoot a benelli SBE with a 26inch barrel for everything. The current testing shows that after ignition a shotgun loads starts to lose velocity at about 22 to 24 inches. Find what you feel comfortable with, and what swings good for you. Beware, short barrels swing fast and longer barrels are smoother on the swing. I prefer a 24 or 26.  Just my 2cents

northern coyote

Quote from: Kuipdog on June 20, 2008, 09:13:31 PM
Just my 2cents

I can understand that  :yoyo: who'd guess a 17 year old would be tought computer lingo by "older people"    :shrug: :biggrin:

alscalls

I can pattern any 24-26 " barrel in my cabenet against my 28-30" barrels and every time longer is better for me. There must be something to it.
AL

cb223

I have been wondering about this for a while now! If a longer barrel  makes a tighter pattern then why do all of the new turkey guns come with a short barrel?

Without actual testing, I would be lead to believe that you can get the same pattern with a shorter barrel just by using the right choke. I could be completely wrong! If I am would someone post actual testing.
CHAD

alscalls

That is a great idea but everyone would need to shoot the same load and choke the choke is the hard one there are a lot of them out there.
AL

northern coyote

what if we all stuck to the same loads, say, what are the most popular? WIn. Supremes? AA's?   :eyebrow: and stuck to the "big three" chokes, IC, Mod, and Full?  :shrug: :readthis:

Oh,  :doh2: you'd neem uniform length too, 2 3/4 sound good to y'all  :eyebrow:

vvarmitr

Quote from: northern coyote on June 19, 2008, 10:37:52 PM
yeah, I'm tryin to find a gun that'll double as a "fun gun" to shoot clay birds (skeet, trap) with and also for huntin the thick brush around my region for woodcock, grouse etc
Well now, if you can find a shotgun that'll do that maybe you can find me a rifle to shoot Brenchrest & also use it to hunt Brown Bears & Whitetail in the thick stuff.  :shrug:

What you need is a 22lr. Like a Marlin model 39 lever action & shoot like a girl .... namely Annie Oakley.  :roflmao:

What you are wanting NC isn't practical. Not that it isn't doable, there are exceptions to the rules.
Brush guns & competition guns are two different animals.
What you could do is get say an 11-87 & have different barrels. Have your long trap barrel w/ a Bear Mt cheek risers that you can take on & off then have a skeet barrel & finally have a short barrel for brush hunting. 

The reason for short barrels on shotguns is for maneuverability.  Longer barrels give you a longer sight plane for better aiming & more weight out front for better swing throughs.  Brush guns more often are shot instintivily. When the butt hits your shoulder you have to be ready to shoot & also at a target that could be anywhere around you.

northern coyote

oh I know, I'm  tryin to find the best of both worlds, I'm goin to college in the fall and I'd like to find a good gun to take that'll do all I want ( you gotta love a college that has a squirrel derby)

Rich

Barrel length of a shotgun has nothing to do with pattern density. The choke/load combination is where it's at, and every gun will pattern differently than the next one will.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Kuipdog

I agrre with vvarmitr, it is very difficult if not impossible to find an all around gun. I like what he suggests about getting the extra barrel. I would get an 11-87 or 870 with a 20 or 22 inch bbl for brush and turkey and later get a 28 or 30 inch for trap. I have seen guys shoot lights out with a 20 inch bbl for trap, but they are good no matter what they pick up. you can do it all with one barrel, and I would suggest a 24 or 26 inch, it wont be perfect for either situation but you can make do in both areas you want to use it.
Kuipdog