• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Lets just say

Started by browning204, July 21, 2008, 08:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

That 40 people at the same company play the state lottery. And lets just say that their #'s came up. All those people show up the next day and say that they quit  and walk out.

So losing 40 people, most if not all of a department, what would/could a company do?

Just lose those people or keep them by law until replacements are brought in and trained?

Just wondering.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

Bills Custom Calls

b204 Did you win the lottery  :wo:

Is the company union or nonunion what are the state and federal laws
Were there contracts signed at the 1rst day of employment,and can a company charge employee's for such down time

Lottery winnings may not be enough to cover what they say they lost  :shrug:

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

iahntr

Did I ever tell ya I thought of you like a brother ?!?     :biggrin:

Guess I never really thought about it before   :shrug:
If I was put into that position I'd check with an attorney first before I did anything.
That'd be my luck, I'd win the lottery, quit my job, get sued by them, then get fired, be broke, end up owing them money and be without a job.   :sad:  :laf:
Scott

Silencer

Hmmmmmmm, we all play the lottery where I work  :wo:  About the same number of emplyees at $2.00 per ticket per week.

Most say they'd up and leave if we hit   :shrug:

weedwalker

So, did you win? :shrug: Or are you having to bust your butt at work because the other 40 left? :confused:

Jrbhunter

1) It depends on state law.  In Indiana, the company would have no recourse other than PERHAPS to forbid them from forming a competing company.

2) I wouldn't be one of the 40 walking out.  Regaurdless of how much my share was... I'd stick it out at the office for another 6-12 months making 3 times what I'm worth simply because of the giant void left by my 39 counterparts.   PLUS: It'd look good on my resume... which I would use to light expensive cigars between coyote stands and tropical islands.

browning204

well I work in Ma. and no we didn't win. I was just discussing it with another co-worker as to what might happen. Everyone says they would come in and take a dump on the bosses desk (not really) and then walk out.

We were talking and I was saying that if we did that, maybe just maybe the company would come after us and try to get us for job abandonment, loss of profit and what ever else they could think of IF they wanted to be ass holes.

We are NON-union and employees at will. But at my job, just anyone can't walk in there and do it. We are closely watched by the FDA and need to keep a certain head count and training level or else.

To turn a guy loose and let him just do his job takes the better part of a year for most. A slight mistake or over site can cost 100,000 to millions depending of what part of the process a mistake happens.

We like to have all kinds of debates and this was one.

Silencer

Hey B, sounds like our work is similar. I could see that happening and the company going under if we all quit, someone off the street couldnt do it. 

browning204

nastygunz

" keep them by law until replacements are brought in and trained?".... :shck:

I ....Think.....That....Is.....Called....Slavery?......... :biggrin:

alscalls

This is America you let them belive they can make you stay then sue them for doing it.......... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

yucca

Quote from: browning204 on July 22, 2008, 12:49:25 PM
We are closely watched by the FDA and need to keep a certain head count and training level or else.

To turn a guy loose and let him just do his job takes the better part of a year for most. A slight mistake or over site can cost 100,000 to millions depending of what part of the process a mistake happens.

Hire back on as contractors to train new employs to take your jobs and get paid well while doing it.

KySongDog

There is a concept called "Employment at Will" which basically says any hiring is presumed to be "at will"; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals "for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all," and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work.  Assuming of course there is no contract or union invovled.

There are lots of exceptions to this doctrine such as discrimination, public policy exception, implied contract exception.....

Clear as mud, huh?    :confused:  Do a search on google and you'll find lots more confusing info such as "Right to Work laws'.

Semp