• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Black Bear with a 30/30?

Started by cb223, August 06, 2008, 08:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb223

A friend of mine got drawn for a bear tag. He wants to use his 30/30. I have no doubt that it can be done but can it be done effectively? I know it is not the ideal caliber but thats what he has.

What are yall's opinions good or bad?

What bullet would work the best?

What is the heaviest bullet that will work well in a 30/30?
CHAD

FinsnFur

I'm not a fan of the 30/30 just because of the action they use, but man I'd have to think it would be enough for a Bear.
I'm kinda curious to hear the responses myself.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

Inside of 100 yards I see no reason why the "dirty-thirty" wouldn't work. Now, having said that..... if it were me, I would opt for a premium bullet.

Federal Premium Vital-Shok 170gr. Nosler Partition would be my choice.

Other options to consider if not reloading:

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 190gr. Jacketed Flat Nose
Grizzly Ammunition 170gr. Hawk Round Nose

cb223

If he ends up using it, I will be reloading for it.  The partition was also one of my first choices but I quickly eliminated it due to a pointed bullet nose in a tubular magazine. I'm pretty sure it's got to be a round nose or flat point. A couple of the Barnes bullets come to mind the solids particularly.

A premium bullet is definitely a must.
CHAD

FOsteology

The 170gr. Partition is a RN. If I'm not mistaken, Nosler designed the bullet specifically for the lever action. Used it on hogs when I had a 30-30.

cb223

Quote from: FOsteology on August 06, 2008, 08:55:31 PM
The 170gr. Partition is a RN. If I'm not mistaken, Nosler designed the bullet specifically for the lever action.

I didn't know that, that is good to know. That was at the top of my friends list.

Thanks FOS. Do you have any loading data around yet? What worked for you?
CHAD

FOsteology

No loading info. as I didn't roll my own when I had a 30-30. Just got into reloading this year....

The Federal loaded NP shot good out of my 30-30, and also in my son's Spikehorn 30-30. 

frshwtr

i'd gpo with the 170 gr. bullet in a controlled expansion type bullet, dont know if i'd want to use solids they wouldnt be doing to much damage inside if they dont expand. you did sasy black bear right.

nastygunz