• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Remington R-25

Started by KySongDog, September 11, 2008, 04:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Frogman's thread about his R-15 got me wonderin' if anyone has any experience with Remington's new R-25.  They make that gun in .243 and I bet it would make a heck of a calling rifle.   :wo:

Remington R-25

Yotehntr

I just saw that a couple days ago.... ;yes; man that is tempting..
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

George Ackley

wouldn't think it would have a foreword  assist  with it being 243??
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

HuntnCarve

Here's a question that's been nagging at me, being that they don't allow the use of Semi Auto rifles (or pistols for that matter) in Pennsylvania.  What is that button protruding from just behind the ejection port on the R-25 photo?  I've never really handled one of these type rifles.  So excuse my ignorance.  Just curious.

Dave

George Ackley

That would be the foreword  assist  ,

I am shore there are gun guys out there that can explain it better then me but some times with the 556 or 223 the gas that operates the action isn't enough to hammer the bolt home , so with the foreword  assist 
you can push it home if it fails,, there are i think many reasons that there isn't enough  gas to do this but like I said I don't know much about them other then pulling the trigger.. my 308 dont have a foreword assist 

HuntnCarve

Thanks George!  That explains why I would only see it on certain rifle photos, and not others.  I suppose I ought check out one of these rifles someday?  Just never saw the need, being that I can't hunt with it here in PA.  I never understood the whole "no Semi" thing here in PA?   I have a 10/22 rifle, and a Mark II pistol that I would love to be able to use for hunting small game.

George Ackley

MI VHNTR

Quote from: HuntnCarve on September 11, 2008, 11:56:35 AM
Here's a question that's been nagging at me, being that they don't allow the use of Semi Auto rifles (or pistols for that matter) in Pennsylvania.  What is that button protruding from just behind the ejection port on the R-25 photo?  I've never really handled one of these type rifles.  So excuse my ignorance.  Just curious.

Dave

The gas system of the AR is used to unlock the bolt and allow it to move to the rear. The recoil spring in the buttstock is what pushes the bolt forward. The forward assist was added years ago in theVietnam era in order to allow the user to hit the forward assist in order to make sure that the bolt was fully closed. This was done due to the battlefield conditions, ie. dirt, humidity and fouling from ammo. The rifle will not fire unless the bolt is fully closed. Today the forward assist is seldom used and some rifle makers have eliminated it altogether. I prefer it on my ARs, since I load my rifle after I get out of the truck and do not want to make noise by allowing the bolt to slam closed. I slow the recoil spring action down with the charging handle and then bump the forward assit button to ensure that the bolt is fully closed. MI VHNTR
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB