• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Shotgun help

Started by Frogman, September 10, 2008, 04:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Hey guys,
      I'm trying to get my shotgun ready for coyote hunting.  I have a combat type Remington 870 that I bought to shoot 3 gun matches with.  I really like this gun but the barrel has no choke.  It would be next to worthless out beyond about 25 or 30 yards.  It does shoot slugs really well.

Here is a photo . . . .

I just bought a new 870 barrell for this gun.  It is a 20 inch with rifle sights and an Improved Cylinder Rem choke installed.  I have been reading other threads about some of your experiences and patterns with differnet chokes.  I haven't even changed out this new barrell yet.  I'm looking for suggestions as to what choke tube to purchase that would be good for coyotes.   In WV we are restrictied to number 4 shot during the night hunting season.  I think other shot is acceptable the rest of the time.   I would like to use No. 4 buck.  I'm thinking the Remington Double Full Turkey choke might do the trick??  What do you guys think??  Any suggestions??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

possumal

I can't give you much info on this, Jim.  I have killed 5 or 6 with my Rem. 870 with the turkey barrel, xful choke, shooting the Rem. duplex 4-6 shells. The farthest I have shot one was about 45 yards with him running sideways, and it rolled him graveyard dead. I am confident that the number 4 shot with that barrel will do a number on coyotes up to 50 yds on an open shot.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

alscalls

Is buying another barrel an option Jim?
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

I don't know Al, I haven't even taken this one out of the box.  I wanted one with the rifle sights and the interchangable choke tubes.  This one seemed the only option.

Jim

Kuipdog

I would look at what remington offers. If you could go with a vent rib and put a red dot or a set of clamp on sights from Hi-Vis or true glo that might be the way to go.
Kuipdog

alscalls

Choose your ammo first I mean ......lead, Hevi Shot, Or  whatever and get one of the recomended chokes for the type of ammo you want.
If lead, I would just go with your best choice and start patterning different loads to find what the gun and choke want.
Thats the cheapest route and more shooting never hurts.
I always do some snap shooting with my gun for practice to see if I got any bad habbits as well just to keep in tune.
If youre thinking of night hunting with us this year Jim, practice with the light you will use also.
I learned the hard way that a lot can go wrong with a light on a 12 ga. shotgun and with yotes a howling in the dark you want that baby to be in tip top shape...... :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Rich

Frogman,

You  are in good shape with that 20" barrel and adjustable iron sights. In reading your above posts, it sounds like you are limited to #4 BIRD shot. If you look in the shotgun "shot size" thread, you will see that #4 BIRD is a lot smaller than #4 BUCK. With the #4 BIRD being largest shot you are allowed, I would recommend that you go to the fairly new shot that is made with a tungsten mixture. I would go with something like Remington's High density, 3" fodder, and for the choke I highly recommend you try a Kicks Industries "Gobbling Thunder" in .660. If you can shoot larger shot for daytime hunting, the same  brand of choke in size .675 would be in order.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Frogman

Thanks guys,
      I just bought some #4 3 inch Nitro Turkey loads, and a Remington Full Remchoke tube for the new barrel.  I have also ordered the Remington Super Full Turkey choke tube.  We can use any type shot in the daytime so I also got a box of 3 inch  #4 buck loads.  When I get all this put together I will do a range report.  Any further input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim