• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Been having fun

Started by Hawks Feather, September 10, 2008, 09:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

A couple of you have asked if I have given up making calls and while the answer is no, I have been working on some other "wood" projects.  Both are gun related.  This one is pretty well done and is a refinish job on a Ruger 10/22.  I got it in a trade about 6 or 7 years ago and had finished off the action work, but never did anything to the wood.  It looked like a nice piece of Walnut, but you never know what you will find when you get rid of all of the factory finish. 

There was a small knot that I thought might come out pretty good.

So now it is good enough to go into the gun safe.

Jerry

FinsnFur

I wish more wood stocks had characteristics like that in them. I realize the manufactures want clear stock for the job but man they just dont have the beauty.

Nice job Jerry :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

Sharp looking "project" ya' got there! :biggrin:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

KySongDog

Nice job, Jerry!   That stock looks great!    :congrats:

What all did you do to the action?  I got a 10/22 that I really ought to pay more attention to. 

ROOSTER

Your right it is nice enough for the gun safe. I just happen to have a gun safe with one space left. Go ahead and get it ready to ship. Heck I'll even drive up and get it if ya want. :eyebrownod:

Hawks Feather

Semp,

It is pretty easy to tear down the 10/22 action and they are easy enough to work on that even I can do it.  I usually start by getting rid of any burrs that are on any of the parts.  There are a couple in there that are stamped and have ridges.  Next I get rid of the teardrop in the bolt release - by doing this you can engage the bolt stop as you normally would, but then you just need to pull the bolt handle back to release it rather than pushing the bottom of the release (which always drove me nuts).  Next I start honing on the sear so that I have a smoother and lighter trigger pull.  I also put Power Custom stainless steel hammer and also trigger shims in to get rid of some of the sideway movement.  Install heavy duty springs, which also helps smooth out the pull and increases lock time.  Replace the receiver bolt with one that is buffered.  If it is one that I plan to shoot when I want to change magazines quickly I will install a magazine release - if you do this don't get the cheap $5.00 plastic one.  They bend and cause other problems.  A decent one can be found for $15 to $20.  That takes care of the action.  I don't like the little scope base that comes on the Ruger and usually change that out with a Weaver base (much cheaper than many of the after market bases, but works just as good) so that I am allowed to use decent rings.  And finally I usually do a little work on the barrel crown.  (This is not always necessary.)  If you don't want to mess with honing the sear, you can get a replacement (several places make them) that you can drop in and improve things.

This will give you a very smooth, tight action.  I have a couple of 10/22s and all of them shoot pretty good - especially a couple of the target models.  While I am not a fan of a barrel band on a rifle, it doesn't seem to bother the 10/22 all that much.    If you decide to install the Power Custom shims and aren't planning to go into several repairs let me know and I will send you some.  They are different sized for the hammer and trigger and come in a pack of 10 for $18.00, so like I said if you need a couple rather than 10, let me know.  If you want to give it a try and hit a problem let me know and I will try to help you out. 

Jerry

KySongDog

Thanks, Jerry, for your help.

I have been out of town for a few days and just now got a chance to see this.

Hawks Feather

Not a problem.  If you get things going and hit a snag, let me know.  There aren't too many problems that I haven't run into in a 10/22 action and many of them I caused.   :holdon:

Jerry

cb223

Nice work Jerry.  10/22's are fun and easy to work on.

Looks like you did a nice job on that one.
CHAD