• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

September Hunting In NH

Started by THO Game Calls, September 19, 2008, 08:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THO Game Calls

These are some pictures of the places I have sat stands this month, and the results so far.  This is all shotgun territory, unless I hunt it with tree stands, when I use the rifle, but it's just been to hot to carry it in, so I sat most of these on the ground with the 12 ga.

September 7th  Evening

September 12th  Evening

September 14th  Evening.  Because of where I was going to make my last stand this day, I carried the .243 instead of the shotgun.

Same day, stayed till dark.  This is 1 mile up on top of the mountain.  This is why I carried the rifle this day.  This is the "blueberry field" stand.  It has been a very good spot for coyotes and deer over the years.

September 15th  The Stone Wall Stand.  There are three converging game trails here just about 30 yards from the stone wall.  There is a break in the wall that you can't see in the picture, and every animal in the area seems to use it.  In the winter, no matter the snow cover, it is always almost bare there from the deer and other game.  It has been a great spot every year, for both coyotes and deer.

And the results so far..........

Al

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Jrbhunter

LOL!     Hard for me to imagine a damp wooded scene like that.... we've been bone dry for three months and fall has come much quicker than normal for us.  Combines ran all around my house yesterday- the trees that survived the hurricane winds (no rain) last weekend now look like they're preparing to drop foliage.

I made a productive little September stand just last night.  11:30pm wearing nothing but my boxers carrying only a Surefire LED- went out to check the fuel on the generator and caught eyes in the back field.  After 4/5 minutes of lipsqueeks he finally came charging in from 200 yards out and stopped at 60.  He posed just long enough for the wife to say "Wholy Crap" and he was gone.   Gotta love them "pre-deer season" pups.

Bills Custom Calls

Looks like some nice hunting ground.

Would that stone wall be an old fence that was built way back before Lasse was a pup
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

bigben

yep been getting the itch  more and more.  heading north next weekend.  those look like some nice stands al.  why is the stone fence there?  old homestead in the area? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

THO Game Calls

Bill & Ben

The old stone wall is probably over 100 years old.   Most of the land in Southern NH had the timber cut off it in the late 1700's earyly 1800's for farm land.  These old walls are often where the land owners moved the rocks from the fields so they could grow their crops.  Not all of them, but a good many.  You find them in the southern part of the state.  The forest here are all second or even in some cases thrid growth forest, unlike up north where we have a majority of old growth forest.

JRB -

It has rained a lot here in this summer, and over the past few weeks, we have had some really nasty rain storms, so the woods are still very green and in some places very wet.  Usually we have peal foliage around columbus day.  I'm betting it will be a little later this year because of the warm weather and rain.

Al

browning204

There are Moose Near that blueberry feild. I think from where I think you took the pic from, they would be behind you. When they had the Snow machine trails groomed, we jumped 2 right there!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

THO Game Calls

This time of year, the moose are in the clear cuts and swamps.  You wont find them on the top of the mountain.  

Even if you did, they are not a threat unless you anoy them. 

But just in case Browning204 - you might remember that when we hunted together, I always had a pair of running shoes in my pack.

Not because I ever thought I was going to out run a moose or a bear, that's not going to happen and it's not necessary.   In a situation like that, all you have to do is ourtun your hunting parther.      :roflmao:

Al

iahntr

Nice pics Al ! That stone wall is pretty cool, that'd take some work to make one of those up.
A guy kinda forgets too that what's timber now, wasn't all timber at one time.  :eyebrownod:
Thanks for sharin em with us.
Scott
Scott