• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Little deer (picture added)

Started by Hawks Feather, November 04, 2008, 07:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

This should probably go in "Other Small Game" but a button buck walked in front of my arrow tonight at sundown.  I heard a pretty good sound when the arrow hit and then watched him run back into the woods and heard a crash.  I waited about 15 minutes and then got the climbing tree stand down and hauled it up to the house where the truck was parked.  The guy was burning a few boxes when I got there and I told him I lost an arrow.  He asked where it went and I said in a little deer.  He asked if I wanted him to get a light and help look for him and I said I wouldn't turn down an offer like that.  He got out the riding lawn mower, hitched the wagon on, and away we went.  When we got back there he said that we should go to where it was hit and look for blood.  We were about 20 yards from where it was when I shot and I said here is the blood.  It was pretty easy to follow since there was splatter about every six inches.  Kind of like "follow the red line" rather than the yellow brick road.  He had run out of blood about 30 yards into the woods.  For a 150 pound crossbow, I was pretty impressed.  The arrow went in where it was supposed to - just behind the shoulder, but since the deer was at an angle it came out in front of the hind leg.  When I was field dressing it I found jello, or at least that is what it looked like.  It turned out to be the liver that had really taken an explosive shot.  One lung was also down, but I missed the heart.  We drug it out of the woods, put it in the wagon, and hauled it back to the house.  So it is hanging out at the farm (inside a building) waiting for me to get it checked in the morning and then to the grinder. 

Jerry

Jerry

Bills Custom Calls

Good Job Jerry !! :yoyo:

Your gonna get some nice tender steaks out of that one  :biggrin:  What time is dinner
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

alscalls

Killin season.....I love it! :eyebrownod: :yoyo:WTG We made sausage outa mine mmmmmmmm
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

iahntr

Nice job  :congrats:
Just the way it's supposed to work  :thumb2:
Scott

FinsnFur

Your right Jerry, this should have went in the Other Small Game forum. I'll move it over there :biggrin:

Actually I want to know where you rode on the mower with the wagon on the way back to the woods. Better yet, where did you ride on the way back with the deer? :laf:

Seriously though, Congrats Bud.  :yoyo:
I'd take a young one over a trophy any day :eyebrownod: I have such a hard time chewing those antlers. :shrug:

Oh and before I go. This topic is JUNK with out pics. :sleep: :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HuntnCarve

Way to go Jerry!  Time to fire up the processing room.

vvarmitr

WTG Jerry!  :biggrin:
Don't tell me you don't have any pix for us.  :shck:

coyote101

Nice job Jerry.  :highclap: :highclap: Let's see that crossbow.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Frogman

Ahhh the thought of young tender backstrap sizzling in the skillett,  makes my mouth water!!!  WTG!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Congrats, Jerry!   :congrats:

I've never tried cross bow hunting but it looks like it might be fun. 

Hawks Feather

Since Jim wanted to see what my little deer looks like I thought that I had better take a picture so that he will be happy.

The crossbow that I am using is noting special - just a Horton Legend with a 150 pound pull.  I got the crossbow used after the guy wanted a larger bow.  I had talked with several differnent people at Horton and they all said that if I was just hunting deer in Ohio that the 150 pound pull would be more than I would need.  I actually wondered a little about that until I shot this one and it went in one side and out the other, with lots of internal damage.  Part of credit for that can also be given to the Spitfire Broadheads (100 grain) that I was using.  This is the entrance wound.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

GAWD!!   PULLEEEZZZEEE  tell me there ain't no back straps in that grinder!  (everything else is OK though)   :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Semp,

I am pleased to tell you that the back straps are the only meat that didn't get ground.  They will be used on Thanksgiving when the kids are home.

Jerry

KySongDog