• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Making Butter Our Way

Started by pitw, November 13, 2008, 10:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Got some cream from the lady who is breeding a couple cow's for me to try and get a Gurnsey milk cow and thought I'd show you how we make butter. 

Start by putting 3.4 litre's cream in churn.

Kick the automated churn into gear.

Keep kicking

Closer up of the mechanism

Voila 12 minute's of turning and it makes this

1 litre buttermilk that will make pancake's in the morning and choclate cake in the afternoon for a snack after pork butchering.

Wash out the last of the milk and add salt

You get 2lbs and 3 oz. of butter that you will never be able to buy in any store.

I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

I don't believe I've ever had any freshly churned butter. That sure looks like it'd be good on a hot biscuit.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

I have done that a couple of times and it takes some work.  I am sure that the kids will appreciate it more now that they have had the chance to make their own.

Jerry

vvarmitr

You guys can have the butter. I 'll take the buttermilk.  :eyebrow: 
Just a dash of salt & drink it down!  :yahoo:    Mm mm good!  ;yes;

Guernsey is a good choice for, as we called 'em, a table cow.  Sold that Holstien milk to the city folk.   :eyebrownod:

alscalls

I have a churn a lot like that one but mine has a red housing around the gears..........We love making butter.MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

You mean like this one

This is the type I grew up with and if I had a penny for every time I turned that handle I'd buy a tank of gas.  We had three milk cow's most of the time so would make butter 3 time's a week when we were saving up for later.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

Nope...........Like this..........

Close though......... :laf: My jar is different :laf:
Mine is a Daisy Churn #4..........Says it on the lid and again on the Jar.........Small world aint it :biggrin:
We make butter with it and it is truly wonderful stuff... :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

WhiteHare

Boy does that bring back some good memories.  Mom had one like pitw's when I was growing up.  (Wish I knew what ever happened to it) I loved to make butter out on the back porch.  I still remember the taste of that buttermilk.  Dad and I would drink down a glass with a little salt and pepper. Those were the good ole days.   Nothing like the store bought kind today.  I don't think I've had any as good as that in a looooong time.

Thanks for allowing me to reminisce.
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com