• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First 204 coyote

Started by Brad H, December 07, 2008, 11:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad H

Hey everyone. Haven't been around here much but did finally get my second day of calling in with this 204. This time something came in. Two actually, but I didn't see the second till after I shot the first one. The shot was a little over 100 yards and he was dead immediately. I think I'll keep this pelt for myself.

Todd Rahm

Hey stranger. Good to see your getting out and being successful.  :wink:

Nice furred up coyote to by the way.

FinsnFur

Ok!......whats the deal Brad? Your standing there holding that thing like it weighs 4 pounds. :doh2:
Perfectly straight posture, no contorted facial expressions. Is that thing fake or is it a real coyote?  :laf: :laf:

Seriously though...good to see ya. I hope things are going ok for ya.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

:congrats: :congrats: WTG Brad!.....Do it again,I gotta work so someone needs to......What sound did ya use?
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

Brad,
     How about a few details on your hunt.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Brad H

I'm pretty sure that coyote was 25 lbs plus but I'll over exaggerate on the next one. :laf:

He has/had REAL nice fur. I'm still keeping it even though I pulled the dang tail in half skinning it.

I've been using a multiple sound thing. They showed up at about 8 minutes and I think I'd already been through three different distress sounds by then. changing up the sounds has been working pretty well for me.

Not too many details other than I had to haul this thing a mile going mainly up hill because no one had a knife. They always show up at the furthest stand from the truck. I don't know how they do it but they're good that way.

Brad

Frogman

How far away was he?  Did he come downwind?  What time of day was it?  Were you using an e-caller, and where was it set up?  What caliber is your rifle?  All these things help me to visualize your successful setup and learn from it.  Thanks for the story.

Jim

Brad H

OK Jim, I see what you're looking for.

I didn't see him come in. He showed up pretty much where he got shot. I always give myself a pretty good margin of error as far as where they might show considering the country I call in. Meaning, I try to center myself so I can see quite a distance and have time to react. In this case, this coyote  showed up and was distracted by sniffing the ground at least two or three times while working his way in. So when he showed up, peaking over the small ridge,  in this case and at this time, he only made 5 or 6 steps at the most before eating the 39 grain Blitz King. he was in no hurry. I was using an ecaller but the result may have been the same using a hand call but that's only speculation. I did see the same reaction using my howler as a distress call a few times in the past. The set up was perfect though. The wind was coming right at us and we were set up in a draw that led into a massively wide creek bottom. I think we'd have done better setting up closer to the bottom or middle of the flat but there was just no access to it. Time was about noon which isn't the most productive time but if the time and place are right they'll show if they're in the mood and haven't been called before. Wind was 5 mph or less and the temp was around 35 which is warmer than I cared for but again, time and place I think take precedence over sounds. Also, this place hadn't been called so the landowners told us, which carries a lot of weight too. Still, I thought we should have seen more but they're tough to predict in any case.

Brad

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 08, 2008, 05:34:09 AM
Ok!......whats the deal Brad? Your standing there holding that thing like it weighs 4 pounds. :doh2:
Perfectly straight posture, no contorted facial expressions. Is that thing fake or is it a real coyote?  :laf: :laf:

Jim,
People that exercise every day can do things like this.  I would have trouble holding the rifle.

Brad,
Nice looking coyote and I am glad to see that you are enjoying your .204.  Also glad to see that you have some time to visit.

Jerry

possumal

Good job Brad, extra nice yote.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

vvarmitr

Pulled the tail off you say?   :huh:   Must be a pretty thiin skinned coyote.  :wo:  No wonder the 204 worked! ;yes;
:laf:

That sure is a nice looking coyote. Glad you're out after 'em!  :wink:

Frogman

Thanks for the extended report Brad!!

Jim

iahntr

Nice one Brad.
Thanks for sharin.
Scott

Brad H

Thanks Jerry and Al!!

James, haven't forgotten about ya, I'll be in touch. And buy the way, that tail was fused to the tail bone all the way to the tip like I've never seen. Real strange and unaccommodating. I ended up cutting the tail bone in half just to get the end of the tail fur out of my way.

Jim, my pleasure. Anything I can do to help. I can't decide if I'm out of descriptive practice or pressed for time lately.

Thanks Scott. It's good to see you're still around.

Brad

Smith

Brad!  :yoyo:. Got a 204 :laf:.  Are you ever gonna stop out here or what!

Lucas
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

HaMeR

Cool deal Brad!! That 204 will drop em way out there.  :eyebrow:  Nice lookin dog.   :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11