• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Friday hunt

Started by Yotehntr, February 20, 2009, 03:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Well I took a vac. day today and went hunting with one of the guys from work. He borrowed my Rem 204 LVSF.  About the 3rd stand we had one coming down the hill towards us, I whispered to him one was on the way. (we were about 10' apart) I was wanting to get him hooked. He's an avid deer and turkey hunter, and does quite well at it. When the yote got with in about 130 yards I think my decoy spooked her and she started to skirt at a 90 degree angle more away from us than around. So I barked and she stopped I whispered shoot.....click (noted by C in pic) :doh2: oh no. Well he knew better than to cycle the bolt she went another 50 yards and took another look. (noted by x) I shot and she ran about 200 yds started to go up the edge of a pond and fell. I asked what happened? He didn't know, here's one for the new hunters, you need to be familiar with your gun. I finally figured that the bolt had got bumped up just a little. Rem's wont shoot unless the bolt is fully closed (safety) I know if he'd have had his deer rifle he'd have had it....but that's ok, I don't mind shooting them! That last pic has the sweet little Buckeye Burl call that pulled her in! You can see I got both lungs, and still a 200+ yd run, man they're tough. Here's some pics.

Well we did a couple more stands and came up to the last place we could make a stand on this property. I thought I'd make sure if one came to the call he'd have the shot, so I kind of put him in front, ever notice if you really want to call one in for someone they come to you instead? I started calling and off the top of the hill to our right I hear some squirrels barking. I turned and got my gun set, (he was to far to say anything to) and here comes a male down the hill, where my buddy was sitting I knew he couldn't see him so I held tight. He got with in about 40-50 yds and he starts doing this head bob thing. There was a fallen limb and he would look over, then under, back and forth. I was sure if I let him come any closer there wouldn't be any shots fired. So I hit him square in the chest dropped instantly. Here's another pic. (Buckeye call again)

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

coyote101

Way to go Brad!  :highclap: :highclap: Thanks for the story and great pictures. I hope your friend had a good time. How many does that make with that call?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

CCP

Good job Brad  :yoyo: :yoyo: You sure are working them TN coyotes over and nice pics..
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Hidehunter

Denver                                           

alscalls

:yoyo: :yoyo: WTG!!!!! You are sure a puttin em down! :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

Brad,
    That's great.  Good shooting.  I've been trying to get a deer hunting friend of mine a kill too.  Same thing happens to me.  Seems like they always come in where I'm the only one with a shot!!  I really need to get him a kill as he is retired like me and would make a good hunting buddy if I could just get him a little more fired up!!  I enjoyed the story and pics!!  Thanks!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

pitw

Awesome pics and story sir.  Sure is strange how the critters come to the wrong guy.  That looks like great coyote country.
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

:bowingsmilie:.....very cool.........Id like to know more about that call?

HaMeR

Way to go Brad!! You're a machine man!! Can't wait for the video!!  :yoyo:

SO is your buddy hooked now??  :eyebrow:  I like to take a shoulder if I can. They don't track as far that way.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Yotehntr

Hey Pat, That call came off my lathe on 12/28/8 (I date them inside the barrel) I've called in 8 with it, I've killed 5, Bobby killed 1, 2 got away, as 2nds in doubles coming in together, I guess I need practice on the running shots!

Nastygunz it's my usual style barrel,  this one is from Stabilized Buckeye Burl, but I changed my toneboard a little in December '08. It's a little higher pitched that my original, but has great volume. It'll still do ki-yi's well but the distress is to die for! LOL Seriously it is in my opinion the best toneboard I make. It seems to tear through the woods. The one on my call is from antler, I've recently started making them out of buffalo horn, they have the classic black look. The sound from the horn is great too.

Not a bad idea Hammer, but I've had frangible bullets explode shallow on bones to leave a never ending trail of blood. Taking out the lungs they may go 200 yds but the trail does end.  :biggrin:  Not sure if he's hooked yet, he did say he wants to go again. I need to get him a shot for sure!

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

SCcoyotehunter

vvarmitr

Game Hog!  :rolleye:

:laf:  j/k  WTG Brad!  :thumb2:

FinsnFur

Very nice :yoyo:
I like the looks of that one, nice and dark. Look how long that snout looks.

Beautiful job, thanks for sharing it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Great job!   :yoyo:   I like the pics and story.   :congrats:

HaMeR

Glen