• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

owl up close!

Started by Frogman, March 04, 2009, 04:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Guys today 3/4/09 was a great day to get out here in WV.  A friend of mine invited me out to his farm to see if I could get a coyote in.  They have been bothering his cattle.  I finally got a chance to get out there this morning.  I did four stands with no success.  But on my way through the woods to my final stand I saw something odd out in front of me.  A large oak tree with a big knot hole in it appeared to have an owl sitting in the knot hole.

I looked closely and the harder I looked the more it appeared to be an owl.

So I walked closer.  It didn't move and I began to think I was imagining things.  The closer I got the more I was convinced it was an owl.

Now I was sure it was an owl.  I was surprised it let me get this close.  Then it took off . . .

Just barely got it in the left side of the picture.

And one last picture as it flew away through the woods.  I'm sure glad I didn't stay home and sit in the recliner today.  No coyotes, but the owl was way cool don't you think??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

That is pretty cool.
Where's the hero pic? :laf:

I'm kidding! :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Well I for one think you made the right choice in going out.  Thanks for the pics and prose.  Love to see wildlife anywhere anytime.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Neat pictures.  You did a good job on them and I too am surprised it let you get that close. 

Jerry

alscalls

He was frog hunting...... :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hidehunter

Nice Pics Frogman,  I dont believe Ive ever walked that close to one.
Denver                                           

wvhillbillyhowler

I think al old jim gonahafta kiss and make up  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :nofgr: :nofgr: :shrug:

Jimmie in Ky

Its nesting season for them. They should be hatching in just a few more weeks. Thats why you got so close before it left.

Whats even more fun is calling one in. I love fooling with them. If I have an owl around I forget about watching for coyotes. Jimmie

Frogman

I was close!  My camera only has a 3x zoom!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Yotehntr

Cool pics Jim! I called 2 in last year. I took pics but it was right at dusk.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

KySongDog

Good thing you let him go, Frogman.   They taste terrible.   'bout like an old hawk.     :biggrin:

HaMeR

Cool Jim.  Thanks for sharing.   :yoyo:

:wo:  No wonder you never see any coyotes. You keep checking den holes up in the trees!!  :doh2:

:laf: :laf: :laf:

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Caribou dreamer

Nice photo's Jim.Good job. :highclap:
Hunt hard stay late and watch your back!