• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Piebald Deer

Started by KySongDog, August 03, 2009, 10:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

A buddy sent me these pics.  I've never seen a piebald deer in the wild.  Anyone else seen one?

Hawks Feather

We have one outside of town.  I have not seen it, but have seen pictures from about three different people.

Jerry

alscalls

We get quite a few around here as well as all white.....I almost shot one once .....but I passed it up only to find a friend of mine shot it later in the day...... :shrug:
Cool pics ......that is a really nice one I like the way its face is marked.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

I posted some of that same deer back in Nov of 06
Cool looking deer, but no, I've never seen one in the wild myself.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Never seen one here but I'll dang sure end up in the ditch if I do :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Great photos. Wish I had taken some. Have seen a number of piebald and a few all white blacktails in NW Washington State.   Whatcom county has quite a few in the gene pool, as does Clallam county on the Peninsula.

Over the years I've seen several along I-5 between Bellingham and Mt. Vernon, WA.  Also on the hump between Hood Canal and Discovery Bay and one a mile west of Lake Crescent, on the Peninsula.  Saw one in the upper Dungeness while hunting. Several of these were doe and big fawn, mother normal and big yearling fawn piebald, or vice versa. 

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 03, 2009, 10:31:06 PM
I posted some of that same deer back in Nov of 06
Cool looking deer, but no, I've never seen one in the wild myself.

:doh2:  You posted that in November of 2006 and I didn't join the site until December 2006.  That's why I didn't remember it.  :whew:  I gotta a mind like a steel trap ya know.   :wink:    :roflmao:    Hail, I don't remember what I did three days ago anymore.   :biggrin:

FinsnFur

What were we just talking about :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

I have sen 1 in the wild and it was a 6 point buck and it was close to Mohican State Park,and that is about 40 miles from where I live
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HuntnCarve

Last year I was hunting a property in the archery season that my buddy Tom had acquired permission for us to try and remove some deer from.  The owners said we could shoot any deer, with the exception of one.  It was a really big piebald buck.  [Above photo of him from trail cam].  He was a horse of a deer, with a wide 8pt rack.  The rack was not particularly heavy, but just nice. He had to weigh atleast 250 Lbs on the hoof!
Well the one day I'm on stand and I see a big deer coming.  I had seen about six smaller bucks that evening and was waiting for something nice.  When he came in I got excited, until he stepped into the opening 20 yards away.  Yep, it was the big piebald.  He walked about 15 yards away and made a little scrape.  He just stood there looking around for about 20 minutes.  About this time I see two more deer coming.  A big one, and a little one.  I'm thinking a doe and a fawn?  About 80 yards out, I see it's a real nice buck with a little buck!  Now the hearts pumping!  As the big one works his way closer to about 35 yards I'm getting ready for a shot.  But doesn't that piebald head on up to the big 7pt, and they start clicking their racks together.  The 7pt backs away out of range, and the two of them just stand there!  The piebald starts walking back towards me, with the 7pt about 10 yards behind him.  Then he just stops.. The 7pt is at about 40 yards broadside.  Just too far for my liking.  It's getting dark now, and I'm hoping he'll come closer.  But the piebald is sort of blocking where he wants to go.  Meanwhile darkness falls, and legal shooting time ends.  I had to dig my radio out of the pack and call my friend to come in and spook the bucks away.  Didn't want them to see me up in the tree stand.  That was the last time I saw the piebald.  My friend believes he got hit by a car, or taken on another property?  
Around these parts some of the older hunters won't even shoot a piebald.  They claim it's back luck?  Oh well, they're neat to see.

Dave

Edited to include photo of the 7pt (below).  This photo was taken on a trail cam earlier in the season.  He seemed to be traveling with that little buck in the photo.  He was a big bodied deer too.  Not as stocky as the piebald.  Thinking about it all?  I guess that piebald was bad luck for me?  LOL!