• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

how many of you?

Started by LBLDOG, August 17, 2009, 04:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBLDOG

I was just curious and wondered if any of guys keep a journal of your yote hunting. I do , I mark down the date,wind direction , temp, what sounds sor calls used for that day and where I went. I like to look back at the end of the season and see the productive days and see if the wind direction and temp are close to the same . I dont do this for any other kind of hunting like deer, just my yote hunting and wondered what you guys do?

alscalls

I used to do a lot of this ...even on scouting trips....I was looking through those notes yesterday and MAN I wish I would keep doing this as I learned a few things again..... :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

GC

I make notes on the back of my topo maps.  That way I have them in the field with me for a reference and can update them while the information is fresh.
"Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

alscalls

I do still write on maps and such....some.
AL

pitw

Nope I can't remember where I was this morning so it's all pretty much new to me when ever I go out. :iroll:
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:@ Barry^^^^^^^^^^^^
AL

Frogman

LBLDOG,

I have kept a log book of all my stands.  I do it kind of like the log divers keep of all their dives.  Just keep it in a journal type notebook.  Dates, stand number, weather, times, and a short description of the stand.  On stands where we got a response or called in a coyote I go into a little more detail.  If I have a kill then I usually draw a map of the set-up and write a more lengthy description.  Unfortunatly there aren't many like that.  That's why I'm still trying to learn as much as I can from you guys and the people I hunt with.  I'm kind of ashamed of my record so far;

As of today 8/17/09 . . .

345 stands

5 coyotes killed,  one of them was in the back yard and was not called in, hey I killed it, I'm counting it!

One coyote called in and killed by my hunting buddy

One coyote jumped in a field, buddy and I shot at it, one of us hit it, not recovered, found blood

2 coyotes called in shot and got away from me, found blood???

2 other coyotes called in, seen, but didn't get a shot

2 grey foxes called in and killed

One bobcat (little one) missed

Do the math   345 stands divided by 5 kills = 69 stands per kill????

I'd sure like to improve that average!!!

But, even though my average is terrible, I have had a great time being out in the woods, I have gotten to meet and chat with a bunch of great guys!!  I'm going to keep trying!!  Maybe with your all's help and expertise we can get that average up!!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

How many of those stands involved hunting open fields?   Just curious.  I know you killed one at LBL but that was in the woods, IIRC. 

Frogman

Semp,

Yea, good question about the open fields.  Only two have been in the woods.  One at LBL and one at Redbird.  All the others have been in the fields.  But that may be because I hunt open fields more than I do the woods?!?!  My hearing is so poor that I am more comfortable with a set ups where I can see well!

Jim

KySongDog

OK, that's what I'm getting at.  Of the 345 stands you did, how many of those was in the woods?   I think your percentage is much higher in the woods compared to open fields.   

Frogman

OK, I got you Semp.  I should be hunting more in the woods!

Jim

JohnP

I have kept a detailed log for the past 25  years.  I have gained as much knowledge from the unsuccessful stands as the successful ones.  My daughter now has all my notes and is trying to organize them into some type of order and hopefully  one day put them into book form. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

That would be a real interesting read, JohnP.   Hope you get the book done. 

Frogman

Yea JohnP,

If I had learned much from my unsuccessful stands I should be a daggone expert by now????  Guess I'm just a slow learner!

Jim

onecoyote

Way to much trouble for me, I just went hunting. I  remembered a few things not to do, the rest was easy. 345 stands? I sure hope they were short stands lol.

HaMeR

I like to run the way onecoyote runs. Just remember what I did wrong & move on from there. I never was very big on homework.  :nono:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Jimmie in Ky

About the only log I keep any more is on my maps where I hear them. That pretty much tells me every thing I want to know before I hit the woods. Creek channels tell me the general topography and how the winds will be in that area that day.Check with the weather and take off. Do a quick drive around the area and I have an idea of where to start.Jimmie