• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Anyone ever hunt or trapper Fisher?

Started by Bopeye, January 04, 2007, 06:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

It seems that Fishers are starting to make a decent comeback here in Tennessee. It was told that they were "intentionally" introduced to take out squirrels and such.

Anyone know how to trap or hunt these sorry critters?

Any ideas would be appreciated.........it just so happens I have discovered the location of an area that one is hanging out............. :sneer:

Might give clousewt a good pelt to practice on......... :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

studabaka

Fisher are cool. We used to trap them in maine. They seemed easier than fox or yote..... similar to bobcat. We got them in baited cubbie sets, dirt hole sets, and even 220 leaning tree sets. They seemed to like porcupines so we often used that as bait...... but my experience with them was more like just a taste and I'm sure there are others around [especially up north] that have much more experience and knowledge about them.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Bopeye

I hear that they are meaner than a cornered bobcat.........it this true?  :huh:

browning204

yes they are mean little buggers. They are one of the few that can kill a porcipine with out injury to itself.

I have called them in more than once near swamps. I played Mouse sounds and cottontail rabbit and they came runnin.

when you see the fisher responding don't stop the sound, they lose interest fast. In NH when we take them we have to have them sealed by the state so check your laws.

P.s. they where introduced in the U.S. to help control the porcipines.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

studabaka

Well I guess they have that potential, though the ones we got in the 220 sets were pretty docile  :innocentwhistle:

Some of the ones we got had quils in their faces, so anything that enjoys dining like that is pretty rugged. Probably not that bright, but I would have to say rugged.

When I think about it  :confused: I never really had trouble dispatching cats or fisher. I think my worst encounters were with beavers when ankle deep in mud, butt deep in water and it dawns on them that running/swiming away ain't an option.... for them or me  :shck:

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Bopeye

Well the word on the street is that the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency isn't real happy that they introduced these suckers. However, they will not condone shooting them......that's their official position. I talked to a warden awhile back and he said, "If ya call one in...........shoot it and leave it lay. Don't try to remove the collar or anything like that. Well............self defense is still the law of the land........well, for a little while longer anyway. I'll just take my chances........... :wo: :eyebrow:

studabaka

They have a beautiful pelt and when we were getting them they were comanding a better price than anything else. Not sure what prices are for them these days. Don't think there are any around here, but if you got them in TN then it's probably just a matter of time.

Ladobe

Closest I can come is Pine Marten's.    Trapped and hunted them for many years in the Rockies.   

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus