• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Big female at sunset, big male tomorrow at first light

Started by possumal, November 10, 2009, 10:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Quote from: cathryn on November 17, 2009, 07:11:42 AM
when i saw the title "big female at sunset" i thought Al had been sneakin round takin pics of me at dusk  :wink: :roflmao:

real nice job,possumal.

do you ever skin them and sell the hide if they arent damaged badly?

I have skinned a few trying to get good at skinning and tanning. Wouldn't mind having a nice rug or even a coyote coat made out of hides from coyotes all killed on racehorse farms.  That would be quite unusual I would say.  Other pelts, if decent, are given to a fellow with 9 kids who will gladly skin them and take them to the buyer. He needs the income worse than I do, and has never turned down a chance to pick one or more up.  I remember real clearly how happy he was when I killed 5 one day and they were all pretty decent fur.  It was the 2nd day of December 2001.  Hopefully it helped his kids have some Christmas gifts.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

cathryn

i hope it did too.

this year though, least round here, you cant even give coyote pelts away.

timbertoes

Quote from: possumal on November 11, 2009, 04:25:57 AM
Todd:  Not much at all when packaged up.  Everybody has their rifle, shooting sticks, ecaller, and their decoy, don't they?  Well, maybe not their decoy and maybe not their shooting sticks. I personally wouldn't be without shooting sticks, especially at some of the longer ranges I encounter on some of the land I hunt. As for decoys, some people don't believe they are necessary. I believe that too on some stands, but on others they are an essential element for me, especially on problem yotes which I deal with a lot.  :biggrin:

maybe not an ecaller either.... just not into ambushing a worthy opponent
Meet your adversary on a common ground of wits and skill.
Leave the E-caller at home with the video games.

possumal

Timbertoes: Your words "maybe not an ecaller either.... just not into ambushing a worthy opponent" makes me think you consider calling a coyote in with an ecaller is kind of taking unfair advantage of a worthy opponent?  May be, but blasting one inside out with a shotgun at 35 yds isn't giving him much of a chance either, IMO.  I shoot a lot of coyotes at long range, lots of shots at 250 yds and more.  Do you think it is easier to hit a coyote at ranges like that or with him at chip shot range?  I don't mean to bust your chops for enjoying calling them in with hand calls.  I like that too and have done a lot of it.  If you hunt by yourself a lot, as I have done at times, you'll leave a lot of yotes behind that you never see using just hand calls.  That's o.k. too if you accept that as part of your way to do things, as you are giving him a lot more chance to hang up in the thick stuff and watch until he sees you make any kind of move with your hands, head, etc..  Guys like Rich Cronk enjoy using their own hand call sounds that they have recorded to get their own hand call skills out away from them, increasing their chances of seeing the customers who come to dinner.  Different strokes for different folks makes the game the best there is.  Good hunting at ya!
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

pitw

I'm thinking instead of the easy button to get your sound out away from you, you should learn ventriloquism :shrug:.  Never ever bothered me to not get every critter and I hunt alone most of the time.  That way I know who to blame for busted sets :doh2:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

possumal

Pretty good stuff there, PITW! Ventriloquism with a stuffed rabbit might be too cool.  You can learn all the tricks known to the coyote hunting fraternity, and have all the best handcalls, ecallers, decoys, and scents, but knowledge of the animal and how to make good setups will still be the main element that determines success.  Nearly every successful coyote hunter you talk to will agree with that statement.  Only thing more important, IMO, is to be sure the land has coyotes on it for you to call.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

pitw

Very true statement Possumal :wink:.  I really don't care how you get them as long as they are got.  Up here I have to rely on snares to really control them on most places and calling is just too much fun to not do.  I have many friends that call themselves coyote hunters cause they drive around and shoot from the road but all their shots are at the tail and that just isn't the same to me.  It does make it a little tougher to hunt moose being a coyote killer though.  Yesterday while watching one of the dugouts for a bit a coyote came out for  drink and I missed him with the old .54 and probably wrecked all chances at a moose there :doh2:.  Oh well, I didn't have to clean one. :laf:
I say what I think not think what I say.

CCP

I believe you should use what ever you feel comfortable with. Al you have obviously found your comfort zone and technique and it works for you and you seem to be happy with your results.

Quoteblasting one inside out with a shotgun at 35 yds isn't giving him much of a chance either

All in the eyes of the beholder. For the first 10 years of my coyote hunting I used 22-250's 220 swift 22-243 Middlestead's and other long range cartridges. The type terrain I hunted in allowed me to see a long distance and I enjoyed shooting them in that way.

After a while calling one in and shooting it at 150 to 350 yards was a fairly easy task for me. I soon wanted to try and get coyotes closer consistently and it became my passion.I had to learn to setup other than just calling across an open field toward were I thought the coyotes were.

It took many years of trial and error before I became consistent in these type setups. Meaning we all at times get the one than just comes running in with no caution but to consistently get the weary and educated ones to come to 30-40 yards was were the challenge came in for me.

I haven't used an e-caller this year and most of last. I do think E-callers have there place but I kill way more coyotes with a hand call than E-callers for sure.

Calling them in close and calling them in for a long shot are two totally different types of hunting. My type calling and hunting is different than when I hunted for long shots so I do not put myself in the same category as a long range hunter. This is why it irritates me when a long range hunter tries to put me in the same category as them. Two totally different things.

To me shooting a moving coyote that runs in at 40 yards and having to make that shot in 3 to 5 seconds is harder for me than shooting a sitting target at 250 yards in 25 to 45 seconds off a set of sticks.

BTW in the original thread that is a nice coyote. I believe hunters that enjoy long range hunting can learn alot from reading all your post on how you setup and shorten their learning curve tremendously..
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

alscalls

I aint sure why but since I been trying the E-caller more I am finding that I go right back to the hand calls........
I just seem to see more........And I really lean toward my howler for the fun of it......Its like my favorite spinnerbait for fishing.... I enjoy talking them into coming in fast and hard.........
There just aint nothing like it......when it happens........ :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

timbertoes

Your not busting my chops :)  though I might be giveing you a bit of an arm frog :)  :innocentwhistle:

I have only shot one coyote with a shotgun, myself.   Have to say, if a person can call then into shotgun range, then indeed they have conqured the Coyote at his game.
Meet your adversary on a common ground of wits and skill.
Leave the E-caller at home with the video games.

SCcoyotehunter

I love my sticks too, it helps when you can steady up, especially on a moving target