• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

River smallies

Started by Dave, March 08, 2010, 11:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

A friend and I took my 9 year old son smallmouth fishing around Harrisburg on the Susquehanna yesterday.  We fish an area that a power plant discharches warm water, so the fish are pretty active.  Here's a pic looking upstream with the plant in teh background.  You have to wade out a ways and there was plenty of competition.

We couldn't get out quite as far as everyone else.  Here he is behind me as I tried to find a shallower area for him to come out to.  Last year we were only able to fish from that large boulder in the background, and the water was a lot clearer.

I had him set up with a minnow under a slip bobber.   Wasn't long before he was puttin the boots to one.   Guys were catching some channel cats and flatheads, so we thought he hooked up with one of those. 

I almost fell in when he got it in close enough to get a hold of.  It was a 21" smallie.  We took a  few hero shots and sent her on her way.  I figure it was 5 to 5-1/2 lbs, but no way of knowing for sure as we didn't bring his digital scale with us.  Anyone have a guess as to the wt of a 21" bass?

We fished about 6 to 7 hours and the only other fish he caught was a 23" channel cat (changed his sweatshirt at lunch as he'd keep dropping his arms down into the river). 
My buddy Tom caught a few bass up to 15" and a cattie - I had a few fish on, but none in hand. :argh:

And HuntNCarve, you should've come as there was as close to the "reinactment" as we can hope for.  Dante and I were focused fishing out in front of us, and then it sounded like an Orca crashing the beach trying for a baby seal behind us.  It was Tom trying to get his footing before finally going down similar to that night last year when he fell out of the canoe fox hunting.   I tried to get the camera out, but he was too fast.  I managed to get this one back at the truck, but as you can see he was still camera shy and didn't actually take on too much water over the gunnels.  Anyway, Dave, I know you're laughing right now! :hahaha:   

Hawks Feather

Tell you son CONGRATULATIONS on the fish he caught.  Looks like he is the main CATCHER while the rest were FISHING or SWIMMING.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

:alscalls: Dave, wish I could have been there, but you know the situation.  Both the wife and I are laughing at Tom's misfortune. -That is until it happens to me!  Then it won't be funny. :noway:

For the folks that don't know the story:  Dave and I took Tom out on his maiden fox hunt last January.  We had to use a canoe to cross two normally "wadeable" streams.  Being that it was about 20°F that night, Dave and I were displaying the utmost caution. :wink:  It was on the return trip that Tom in a solo attempt to "skateboard" the canoe over the first little stream, pitched to the side, and barrel rolled into the icy water!  Quickly clambering to shore, Tom immediately shouted; "Don't anyone laugh!!!"   Recognizing Tom slipping into potential shock..Dave and I quickly started laughing. -This caused Tom's blood to boil.  Doubling over in mirth along the bank, our quick thinking undoubtedly saved his life. :congrats:  Though it did pain us, we continued the laughing the remaining 300 yards back to Dave's house, where Tom dried off none the worse for wear.  Twenty minutes after Tom had left for the drive home, we found ourselves (probably from shock?) breaking out into bouts of laughter.  At that moment Dave's phone rang?  It was Tom.. "You guys better not be laughing!!" Post traumatic stress probably?
At any rate.  I'm sure Dave and Dante applied the same treatment to Tom on this adventure.  Good work guys!
Oh, and thats a great fish Dante!  Way to go!

FinsnFur

Your right on for guessing the weight. Typically on average, a 21 inch smalley would way around 5-1/2 pounds. And mannnnn is that a nice one.
They put up such an awesome fight, and if your in current it doubles the fun. Dante done a good job just getting him in :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

way to go, great Susky Smallie !!!   :congrats:  my fav to cath on the river.  If yall ever get up this way in the summer look me up and we'll wet some line together.  Bring yer Muskie gear !!!

iahntr

What a BEAUTY of a Smallie !!  :yoyo: Congratualtions  :congrats:
Nice pics.         Thanks
Scott

Dave

Thanks guys.  It was a great day even though it was slow.  Last year we had over 20 smallies that were 19" or better (no b.s. either - never had a day like that before).  And you're not kidding about the current, Jim.  I think it gives them about 25% more power!   Well I have to throw in here a few pics in from last year.  There will be a few pics from that rock that's in the background in the 2nd pic above.  
Silencer,  I may take you up on that invite for this summer - whereabouts are you?  I'm in the Doylestown area.  Do you wet wade, boat or shore fish?

There is that rock downstream that we'll end up on.  The river is about 2 feet higher in these pics, which kept the warmer water (and fish) closer to the shore.

Tom and Dante

The 'rock'  

Looks like the same fish as above, but can't remember.

Tom also managed a 30" striper

pitw

Totally awesome  :bowingsmilie:.  Taking the lad with you pays so many dividends and you can see only a few on his face :wink:.  Never caught any of them fish and I thank you for showing all this to me.
I say what I think not think what I say.

golfertrout

nice smalles you goy there :yoyo:

Silencer

yall are getting some hawgs !!!  :yoyo:   

QuoteSilencer,  I may take you up on that invite for this summer - whereabouts are you?  I'm in the Doylestown area.  Do you wet wade, boat or shore fish?

if you look on the map I'm right where the river first dumps into PA in the town of Susquehanna.

We boat, wade, and shore fish.   Mostly wade in the summer. 

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!