• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Tuning a custom call

Started by Yotehntr, February 21, 2010, 09:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

1st off I don't want to down play tuning a custom closed reed call. I know that in the hands of some great makers there can be quite a change in volume and pitch. That being said...

Did a search on the net and found out the last Stradivarius sold for 3.4 million bucks... they use a pitch fork... ($10) to tune it ... To go further my daughter plays guitar, they're pretty fancy these days, she has an "electronic tuner"  lights come on to let you know to go lower or higher in pitch...  all for about $25.

I did a little search on the .net to find this out but the untrained human voice range is usually 2 octaves.  I couldn't find anything on a rabbits squeal to see the range of pitch but needless to say they don't all sing the same note.  From a baby cotton tail to the voice of a Jack rabbit there's a pretty good frequency span.... ok "set up" complete...

I was on another site,  some here may have seen the post.  Had a fella talking about how he spent thousands of dollars on equipment to tune his calls...     :laugh2:   Hmmmm which size rabbit...? (his favorite I'm betting!   :laf: )   It's a shame where other makers know he's full of it there are probably some new hunters out there that will buy into this... Heck why not just keep it honest?  I said more than I should've there, I hold a high opinion of the Admin. and out of respect for the gentleman I just shut my mouth/(typing fingers). lol  There was no doubt in my mind that you wouldn't mind Jim or I wouldn't have posted this here either...just wanted to vent a bit.

Brad

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

alscalls

I have used a guitar tuner some to play with what changes sound......But I dont care what ya do......if it makes noise a coyote will come as long as the Guy Blowing it sounds like something dying......
I dont need a tuner to tell me your calls work..... :nono:  I have heard them and I GOTTA get me one sometime. :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

About all you can do is change the amount of rasp and pray you don't make er lock up. And  a lot of that stuff some do just makes em wear out quicker.

Let him enjoy his dreams, the rest will sell good calls. Jimmie

Todd Rahm

Sly is bunch of hot air usually promoting himself or something else that he can benefit from.

In this case he has spent 30 years (self procalimed) trying to do what you accomplished in less then two, and he is still not on your level.

His calls were fancy for the day, but nothing really to brag about as noted by several hard core collectors and some serious callers. In todays market, unless he taps into a PM like following he probably won't comete with a handful of todays most talented makers.

Problem is he would probably have a great following if he wasn't so high on himself.

His post while good, seems to be sold in the wrong tone, and the last post he opened up like this made him look so foolish, either he or Bob removed it.

Hawks Feather

I know that you can "blade" a reed or "tune" if you like that term better, but the real sound is made not by how exactly it matches a certain tune but by the person blowing on the call.  I have seen and heard some people that get sounds out of a call that amaze me.  I am not one of them, but I doubt if having a "professionally" (for a way to distinguish) tuned call and a call that is made by many of us would make them a better caller. 

Jerry

HaMeR

Just blow the damn thing & try to sound like you're feeling it.  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

Quote from: HaMeR on February 22, 2010, 09:41:01 AM

:eyebrownod: :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

slagmaker

told that to a girl friend once. She got mad at me, She must not have been feeling it.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

CCP

Quotetold that to a girl friend once. She got mad at me, She must not have been feeling it.

As Al would say  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Yotehntr PM me a link to the guys post, hard for me to comprehend what you are saying in context without the post.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Yotehntr

I'll have to agree with ya Hammer!  Jerry brought up something I hadn't thought about there is so much difference between the pitch of the same call when 2 different people blow it...  :rolleye:   

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

I'm not a call maker but I can't see putting THAT much into the actual tuning process since the biggest majority of these animals hear things so much differently then we do.

How does one know when he has it like the coyote wants it? We only hear what it sounds like to us. Do we really know what it sounds like to a coyote? :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

If a man blows a call in the woods and no coyote is there to hear it, Is he waisting his time?
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

Quote from: slagmaker on February 22, 2010, 10:16:36 PM
If a man blows a call in the woods and no coyote is there to hear it, Is he waisting his time?

Yep, but he doesn't know it.   :laf:

Huntinfool

LOL! Ya'll are killin' me! I laughed so hard I teared up! Slagmaker I once to a GF to blow it like she meant it! She told me later I really inspired her.......

She never did kill a yote though! LOL! :roflmao:

~HF~
Yesterday is Wood
Tomorrow is Ashes
Only Today Does the
Fire Burn Brightly

Romans 8:28

Montani Semper Liberi --- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛÎ'Î'Ε