• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

elk howlers

Started by golfertrout, March 17, 2010, 11:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfertrout

any one use these howlers and can you do a male howl on them.  where can i get some more latex bands for them? make my own?   any vocals out there? :innocentwhistle:

Bills Custom Calls

I have one but I will tell ya I am not the best on it

Brent Saxton or canine would be the fellers that I would know could better answer your questions
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

I got one and there's a video around here somewhere of me howling with it, and then taking it out of my mouth, turning it upside down and howling again. To show how easy they are to blow. :eyebrow:

I'd shoot Brent or canine a pm and see if they can point you toward some bands
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

RShaw

Bands can be made from powder free latex gloves. I use Evolution One gloves and a fabric cutter to make the cuts. For me the right size is made from the ring finger just below the first knuckle.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

KySongDog

You can get the bands from E.L.K.

J.D. is the best in the world at howling.  Brent sounds better than real coyotes.  Both use modified E.L.K. latex howlers I think.

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

those two films I made a few years ago.  they do sound good.  not sure in if its my puter or not but it sounds like the reed is getting old when I made these vids.  any coyote vocalization can be done with practice.  except whimper.  this one is a modified howler much like what keekee and canine uses.  if you have watch richard higgins video he uses a elk power howler that he modified and him and his boy are very good.  better then a real live coyote IMO.  brent sounded very good on his video also. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

keekee

You can cut your bandes from gloves, the different types of gloves will give you different sound. Also the size of the band will change the pitch both lgth and width and how tight it is on the mouth piece. I may cut 20 bands and only use 5 of them. You just haft to play with them till you get the sound you want.

Brent

vayotehowler

I have one two and the sound is the most true to me can use , not as pitchhy or nasaly as some open reeds , i do grat distress on them too, jsut takes practice

Bopeye

I use a elk howler that Kee jazzed up a bit for me. I like it real well and in my opinion, you can't beat them for sounding like a coyote howling.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

JohnP

When I first saw the "subject line" on this post I thought to myself "Who in the hell uses a howler for elk hunting?"  I don't howl very much if at all when I'm after coyotes.  But I do have a howler on its way  out here so I'll have to give it a go.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

ilcoyote

them sounds sound like shit. The bark dont even sound like a bark. sound like letten the air out of a ballon

FinsnFur

:laf: Surely you jest ilcoyote
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

golfertrout

wow kinda hard on big b arent you?