• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Just Tractors

Started by GunDog, April 27, 2010, 11:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunDog

Folks I have gotten me a new itch and it's starting to itch pretty bad. I'm in the market for a "new to me" tractor. I'll be mostly bush hogging, moving hay, keeping up the road coming in the farm here, drilling my winter grazing in, and working a few food plots and dove fields with it.

I have just about decided to go with something along the lines of the Kubota 6040, 4wd, with a quick attach loader and at least one set of remotes on the back. This tractor is about 60 HP and I think it will do everything I need it to. Give me your pros or cons on it, and of course - your personal color suggestions please! Thanks in advance!

:wo:

FinsnFur

Charlene liked green, remember.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I've only ran a couple Kubota's but they operated nice.
http://www.kubota.com/product/M5040/M5040.aspx
  Paying for color never was a game I'd play so looking for the right size, with the right options is the way to go.  Being cheap I have a 65 and 35 massey for my yard work.  The 65 has the bucket and cost $2,227 and the 35 I bought at auction for $3,000.   Not much use for bush hogging where I am but I watch the guys with the skid steer tracked units doing it and they are great for the job[very versatile in attachments too]. 
  How big a drill do you pull over how many acres?
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

You are right on with 4 wheel Drive and with 60 hp Kubota will do the Job, They are lighter than John Deere and Case but are very reliable, dose not sound like you will be doing a lot of real heavy work, I have a 685 Case International and If I was going to trade the Kubota would be on my list. cc

GunDog

pitw I do not own a drill right now. I have a buddy in the dairy business that I help plant and cut every year. I pull his JD 8300 drill (I think it's 16' wide) with his JD 7810. I pull the chopper with a IH 5288. He'll normally plant and harvest around 400 acres every year. He has another smaller no till that I used to put in my winter grazing with last year. I'm not even sure what it is but it's just over eight feet wide.

I am looking to purchase a used one in the six to eight foot range to do what I need around here.  :wink:

msmith

I think the Kubota would be a nice machine. You might also check out a New Holland TN75A. They are 62 PTO hp. New Holland has a lot of features for the money. I don't like John Deere...not that they are bad tractors, they are really good tractors, but they are the color of money.

Being in Georgia, do you need FWD? I have it here in WV just because of the terrain. If it weren't so steep, I would have a 2wd, but 4wd is nice for loader work. Does the Kubota have forward/reverse shuttle?

Good luck.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI