• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Glad but Sad

Started by Carolina Coyote, May 02, 2010, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

I went down to Georgia this weekend to pick up some Pine straw and Wheat Straw but also to do a little Fishing and to do a little Coyote hunting if  one of my friends could make it down, it worked out and he was there, he has been real faithful to go out with me and I have called in a Bobcat for him and a Fox  and he has been along on quite a few Hunts where he did not get a shot or see anything but is always ready to go and optimistic about the hunts even tho he needs a hip replacement he still hobbles along to make the setup and never complains. We also do a lot of Deer hunting together and he loves to make the long range shot 500 yards or better,  and has the ability to do that.
Well on Friday we decided to go try a place where we had been seeing a lot of Coyote sign and near where I have killed a couple of Coyotes in the past and after walking for 1/2 mile or more to slip in to the first stand, we got set up and I pulled  out the new call that Bill had sent from Barry, the call has a great sound and I was sure we were going to be covered up with dogs but no takers so we decided to go another 1/2 mile and try another setup, this time I decided to try some Howls to see if I could get them to Howl back, I know there are Coyotes in the area  so I started out with several Invitation Howls with a couple of minutes between calls to listen, I did  not hear anything so I went back to the distress call and we stayed there for about 30 minutes and when nothing showed I call it off. When my friend walked over to me he said why did you stop Howling  with which I said I did not hear anything, Well he said they were Howling back and shut up when I started the distress calls. Well guys my hearing is bad and that is why I like to have someone else along when I am Coyote Hunting and I learned on this Hunt that I need to work out something with my Hunting Buddy to Communicate during the Hunt. We did not see anything on this Hunt but the fact they were responding to the Howl put me to thinking. Now I know this is a long story but hang in just a few more minutes.
The next morning when I got up one of the other guys had got up earlier and said he heard Coyotes howling about 200 yards or so below the cabin, I killed a young Coyote close to that area in December so I started to figuring out how to make a couple of setups around that area with different wind , this Morning we got up early with several setup's in mind and went out checked the wind, first choice was a no go because of the wind, second choice was a possibility so we headed over to the set up and the wind was perfect, my fried Larry walked down the edge of a clearcut for about 100 yards or so  he could cover the edge that we thought coyotes may come from, I set up looking at the far end of the clear cut  so I got out my Howler and cranked her up and down at the far end of the clear cut a bout 400 yards away I saw a 5 or 6 Deer getting out of Dodge, I waited about a minute and cranked it up again, nothing, waited about 2 minutes and cranked it up again, at the end of the Howl I hear my friend shoot, at that I got the howler and started doing Pup distress and then I heard another shot, well I continued with the Pup distress for about a minute or two, I then walked down to my friend whose face was dragging the ground. A coyote had come out about 40 yards from him standing broadside and he shot and missed, the dog ran and when I started the Pup distress he stopped and came back, he has a over & under (222 and 410 ) he missed the dog with the 410 and he was sick. I hated it for him as that was the first Coyote I had called up for him that he got a shot at, that was the sad part, the glad part that was the first coyote I had called up using Coyote vocals only.
Sorry for such a long story.  :biggrin: cc

pitw

Great story Carl.  Man did I chuckle at the didn't hear them part cause I can relate :pout:.  Glad he got a shot or two cause that is fun even when you miss :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Bills Custom Calls

I enjoyed the trip with you and Larry
Thanks for the post
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

golfertrout

good story :wink: to bad on the miss :madd:

weedwalker

Great story Carl. :yoyo: We all miss once in a while.

Carolina Coyote

Yes we do miss once in a while, I really felt bad for Larry because he is a lot better shooter than me and takes a lot of pride in his shooting but at least he got the thrill of one coming in, he said that the Coyote was really intent on where that sound was coming from and that made me feel real good about the Howl and the fact that he came back after being shot at on the Pup distress was a real plus for me. We had a great weekend as we caught a good mess of fish and and one of the guys cooked up a bunch of Doves one night and the next night we had a fish fry, Don't get no better than that. cc :eyebrownod:  :eyebrownod:  :eyebrownod: cc

vvarmitr

Miss or no miss, sounds like a great weekend!  :biggrin:

Frogman

I enjoyed that great write up.  Sorry about the miss??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Great story!  Thanks, CC.   :congrats:

FinsnFur

Yeah if it was easy everyone would be doing it :wink:

That was still a good write up, thanks for sharing it. And it sounds like you guys still had a lot of fun, productive fun.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

Nothing to be sad about, seems like ya had a heckva outing, at least I enjoyed it.  Carl I'm darn near completely deaf in both ears, even with hearing aids so I know what your talking about.  When ever I'm using the e-caller I don't even know if it's playing or not.  If nothing comes in I just say to myself  "must not of been playing".  Pretty good excuse...
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

markTNhunter

great story C C ive missed a few my self and seen alot that i didnt even get to pull the trigger on  :madd:  :laf: thats hunting though gota love it.

Carolina Coyote

My Friend missing the Shot hurt his feelings a lot more than mine, he is an excellent shooter and don't miss much but it happen to the best sometime, I was just so Glad to call one in for him and the fact I only used a lonesome  Howl and he came in on the Third Howl and then after being shot at and I called him back with Pup distress really made me feel good.  :biggrin:
Mr. JohnP  the Bad hearing is a big handicap for any hunter and that is one of the reasons I don"t Turkey hunt but a man should not let any handicap keep him from doing what he loves to do, Life is to short. cc

KySongDog

If your hearing is going, going, or almost gone like mine,  try using electronic ear muffs.  I use the Bonner Mega Ear muffs but there are lots of different brands out there.  They help me hear really faint sounds.  

pitw

Quote from: Semp on May 05, 2010, 05:50:22 PM
If your hearing is going, going, or almost gone like mine,  try using electronic ear muffs.  I use the Bonner Mega Ear muffs but there are lots of different brands out there.  They help me hear really faint sounds.  

Pics would be nice :bowingsmilie:.                                                                                                   :innocentwhistle:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

I agree,I should have taken some pictures but I was packing lite because of the distance we had to walk.
I have Hearing Aids, but the left ear is pretty bad and if the right ear is not turned to the sound I may not hear and if I do its hard to tell which direction it is coming from. cc