• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Vital kill zone

Started by clubmkred, August 18, 2010, 11:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clubmkred

Does anyone have a diagram of a coyote's vital kill zone. Can't seem to locate one, if there even is one.

KySongDog

Like most everything else with a boiler room....  the front 1/3 of the body should do it. 

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

That little area below the ears and above the eyes works well too :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

weedwalker

Maybe this will help....................

KySongDog

HaMeR

Man that dog needs to eat!!  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

clubmkred

Needs to eat? Not the ones around here. They seem to like General Tso's kitty...

Thanks to all that supplied diagrams... that helps tremendously

Okanagan

On a live coyote, especially in winter, don't forget to factor in non-vital hair above and below the real vitals!

A long time wolfer and pro photographer friend measured and photographed some skinned coyotes specifically to determine how big the kill zone is for coyotes.  It might be surprising how small his measurements turned out. He measured many, especially every time he killed a big one, and he never measured one more than 7 inches of kill zone, top to bottom at the deepest point in the chest. He was measuring from the top of the backbone to inside the sternum. He said that small coyotes would measure 4 inches or even a little less. Those are Interior of British Columbia coyotes. My personal impression is that they averaged a little bigger than coyotes in Southern California, couldn't compare them with anywhere else.

They are skinny without hair!  You gotta aim pretty fine.

clubmkred

And those are exactly the things that I would never take into consideration. Thanks for the info