• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Harrison Lake mountains and snow today

Started by Okanagan, December 19, 2010, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Looking north up Harrison Lake, at a logging landing a half mile before I hit fresh cougar tracks.

Same view two hours later, snow starting to melt higher up the mountain.

Driving roads, looking for tracks.

There's a cougar out there, somewhere, probably...

pitw

Toooooooooooo pretty.  I'm kinda/sorta glad the score is what it is :wink:.  I got's a notion a log landing means a whole different thing than here. :eyebrownod:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Bills Custom Calls

Thanks for the pics

Here Kitty kitty

good luck on the cat  hunt
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

golfertrout

some awesome looking country. thanks for the pics.  hope you get your cat :yoyo:    looks cold to   brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

vvarmitr

As always "cool pix!"   :biggrin:

BTW who saves the animals that get stranded on the ice on the lake?  :wo:

bambam

Okanagan

Harrison Hot Springs resort/town is at the south end of the lake, a few miles north of the US border.  There are several hot springs out in the boonies up the lake and beyond.  They are fixing up the logging road on the east side of the lake, prepping to pave it up to a new resort yet to be built way up the lake.  Install your wife in the resort or one of the other motels, and I'll meet you outside for a ramble through some back country.  :wink:

Google Harrison Hot Springs to find my "secret" spot.  Well, close anyway. :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

My Gahd!.... those are mesmerizing.  :sick2:

So tell me.....living there.... do you ever get used to seeing a view like that?

Those top three pics, how deep is that lake do ya think? Judging by the landscape I got a, I say I got a feeling it's deeper then anyone could possibly imagine.

You would'nt happen to still have those top three in their original form would you? Unresized?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 20, 2010, 10:12:06 PM

So tell me.....living there.... do you ever get used to seeing a view like that?

Those top three pics, how deep is that lake do ya think? Judging by the landscape I got a, I say I got a feeling it's deeper then anyone could possibly imagine.

You would'nt happen to still have those top three in their original form would you? Unresized?

Good perceptive comment.  I don't think I ever get over the awe of such country.  We are renting a house and the main reason was that we first walked into it on a clear winter day and Mt. Baker loomed out the dining room window without an obstruction of any kind.  On clear mornings (not all that common in our rain) I sit and look at the mountain and read.  My wife never gets  tired of the sunset views as the light changes on the peaks.

As to the original pics, I have what downloaded from my point and shoot camera, whatever size those are.  Send me a PM as to where to send them and they will be on their way this evening.

Glad you appreciate them.  Thanks to all for compliments.  The mountains are the good part, and I just took some pictures.  Will see if there is any info on how deep the lake is.

FinsnFur

Yeah I think they'd make great desktops, which I like to switch out every so often.
You can send them to admin@finsandfur.net and I'd be most appreciative.  :biggrin:

Email address's are safe from automated harvesters on the forum. There's a script then scrambles and encrypts them in the eyes of a harvester.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Pics sent.  I sent myself a copy and they spread out way wider than the screen.

Here's another from the cull files that looks colder to me.  It wasn't all that cold, barely below freezing, but it was dropping fast with the clear skies.  It is after sunset at the lake level and up at the elevation where the camera was.  But the upper part of the high peaks on the east side of the lake are still catching sunlight.

FinsnFur

So you got pics like that in your CULL pile? :doh2:

I'm confused though. How can the sun hit the East side of the mountain tips as it sets?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 20, 2010, 10:12:06 PM

Harrison Lake is 916 feet deep at the deepest, and the mean depth is 492 feet says some local web site.  I didn't know that!

FinsnFur

That is freekin amazing. I knew she had to run deep but wow!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 21, 2010, 08:36:37 PM

I'm confused though. How can the sun hit the East side of the mountain tips as it sets?

You are right that it is shining on the western slope of those peaks.  From the perspective of someone down in the lake valley, the setting sun is lighting up the mountains on the east side of the lake, but it is lighting up their west side slopes, on the side facing the lake and the sun.   If we could climb over the row of peaks on the left, or west side of the lake, their western slopes also have sunlight on them just like the ones in the pic.  Their east facing slopes, which catch the rays of the rising sun, are in shadow at sunset.  

Now I'm confused.  Had to hump up some paper and books into a north south valley and was thinking of shining a  flashlight on them but I got it figured out.   :congrats:

FinsnFur

:laf:
Either way, you KNOW your at the top of the globe when you can watch actual daylight climb the mountains like that. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 21, 2010, 08:36:37 PM

Ya caught me braggin' agin!   :whew:

FinsnFur

Boy those pics WERE big :eyebrow:
Outlook wouldnt even bring them in, it kept timing out. I had to go up on the server and pull them from the pending mail query.
  :laf:

Thanks by the way, they look even more phenomenal once you see the trees which helps to understand the mammoth size of those mountains. WOW
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers