• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

25 Years Ago Today..... Space Shuttle Challenger

Started by FOsteology, January 28, 2011, 11:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

25 years ago today we lost it; where were you?

I was in HS (U.S. Govt. class). Announcement was made over the intercom, and the school administration allowed the TV's in the classroom to be turned on in order to watch the coverage of the sad event. We (students and faculty) spent the day glued to the TV coverage. Reagan's speech after the tragedy was masterful and still twists me up when I hear it today.

"We shall never forget them nor the last time we saw them, as they prepared for their mission and waved good-bye and slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God." -Ronald Reagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKIZ7j20EA&feature=player_embedded

I miss having a POTUS who understands how to respond to events like this appropriately, instead of giving shout-outs and throwing pep rallies.....[/i]

FOsteology

Seems appropriate to post the whole sonnet:

Rest in peace, Captain Haney. Thank you for your service.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, â€" and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of â€" wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew â€"
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John_NY

I was chatting on Ham radio at the time if memory serves. I also have a picture of the shuttle from a comtact with it I had made in 83. They sent all who made contact a glossy picture with our radio call signs embossed on the photo.

John

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

msmith

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

HaMeR

I had a job as a carpet & furniture cleaner. Me & my helper were cleaning the Family room carpet in a split level home.  The Lady came down & sat on the steps & began to cry. We had no idea what to do & was afraid to say anything for fear of some sort of harrassment charges being filed. Finally she asked if she could have the remote to the TV because there was something on that we needed to see. It was a chilling moment for sure & I just felt sick knowing all those Family members were watching when it happened.  :rolleye: :rolleye:

Reagan was a grand man. Wish there were more like him. Miss you Ronnie.  :sad:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

I was sitting in front of the TV at a friends house with my wife and oldest daughter watching the lift off
It was an ugly sight when the shuttle exploded

We all gasped and felt the horror but not a word was said for at least 15 minutes we were speechless
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call