• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Finally tagged out

Started by Dave, January 26, 2011, 08:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Not much of a story.  A friend and I were driving for each other.  On the third and final drive I was the sitter.  Got up into my treestand and about 15 minutes later I see two bucks headed my way on the hhillside.  The first buck (smaller of the two) was ready to head above me and probably catch a strong snowy wind headed up the hillside.  Instead he cut to the downhill side of my tree and practically went under the stand.  The 2nd buck was still looking behind and then continued - sort of following the 1st buck, but stopped about 20 yds out, sort of quartered towards me.  Normally I'd wait for a broadside shot, but they since they were being pushed I held the 20 yd crosshair right at the base of its throat.  The arrow dropped it in its tracks as it must've lodged into its spine. 
He's a 7 point.  My friend was supposed to send me a few pics fom the field, but here is one from after I got home.

coyote101

Congratulations Dave.  :congrats: :congrats: Way to go.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

weedwalker

Nice buck Dave. :congrats: It payed off to hang in there. :yoyo:

Okanagan

Nice buck and I love the falling snow pic.  Are the antlers loose?  Bucks start dropping them around here the first week of January, though some carry them considerably longer.

Bills Custom Calls

Congrats Dave Nice buck Persistence does pay off  :yoyo: :yoyo:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

KySongDog

Congrats!   :congrats:   Way to tough it out.   :yoyo:

FinsnFur

:yoyo: Beautiful Dave.  :congrats:

And Sarah rests assured that you didnt outperform her as promised :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HuntnCarve

Very nice Dave!  Make sure you impress upon your kids that "persistence" pays!  Way to go my friend!  That is a cool picture too with the snowy background. :congrats:

Dave

HaMeR

Congratulations on a dandy buck Dave!! That is a tough shot to make but you pulled it off with perfection!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  Once again it shows you gotta be out there.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Nice deer for a fact and they must surely have their neck swelling gone down by now :biggrin:.  How much longer does the season last there :shrug:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FOsteology

Congrats Dave!

I ate tag soup this season...  :sad:

Dave

Thanks all.  It was a nasty day to be out - at least as far as Phila. area standards go.  For you guys mid-west, up through Canada to Alaska, it'd probably be like a walk in the park (figuratively speaking, of course - if it were literally speaking you be right back here in the Philly area  :hahaha: ). (HuntnCarve will appreciate that little bit of humor).

The antlers weren't loose, Okanagan.  However, I know of two others that have shot shed bucks since the begining of Jan., so they are loosing them. 
Barry, our season goes out on Sat., so I had plenty of time  :whew:
Myself and a few others have been going hard after them since after Christmas.  Every few days or so we'd head out for an hour or two - all pushing.  Here are a few more pics of the the bucks we took during our winter archery

Tom with his, taken about 2 wks ago

Here's my nephew, Dan, with his taken on the 25th

Dave

Just noticed the date stamp on the last pic.  Everything from that camera is messed up date wise  (I think it reset when I put in new batteries).  Guess I gotta bring that to a computer guy - or let my kids deal w/it.   :laf:

pitw

Dave that green stuff under Tom's deer tells me it must be brutal where you are :laf: :laf:

Dave

Yep, and that was taken Jan 3rd. 
Winters aren't too bad here, even though we just got about 18" of snow yesterday (which will paralyze our area at least for a day and a half).

pitw

I bet it will :sad:.  We got a maybe a 1/10th of rain in Edmonton yesterday morning and there were 137 accidents in 45 minutes up there :doh2:.  6 roofs collapsed and I don't like city's any more today than I did before I left to go up there. :wink:

bambam

Nice buck and an awesome shot !!  Good job.

Biscuit