• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Beer Review: Abbey Belgian Ale

Started by AWMiller, February 25, 2011, 08:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWMiller

It’s hard to tell what I like most about this beer.  Is it the sweet aroma?  Is it the smooth full-bodied taste?  Whatever the case may be, this is one to have stocked up in your cellar!!  When poured, the beer boasts a sultry, dark mahogony brown and sports a thick frothy head that stays with the beer for quite a while.  The flavor is a meld of chocolate, smoky hops, hints of banana and possibly cinnamon. Definitely one to be enjoyed all throughout the year!

vvarmitr

The label says Belgian Style .... does that mean it's not made in Belgian?  :wo:
Does it taste similar to something we might be familiar w/?  :shrug:
Shiner Bock maybe?  :shrug:
I tried a new one last night - Great Lakes Irish Ale -  :thumb2:

bigben

a Belgian ale is made normally with a special strain of yeast.  some can be down right funky tasting if it is a sour strain.  if it is a milder strain of yeast you will notice banana and cloves with a peppery or cinnamon flavor as he described.  some wheats have the milder flavors of Belgians. 

in beer history certain beers could only be brewed in certain parts of the world.  mainly because of the water profile and even they type of country that was surrounding the brewerys.  Pilsner was only able to be made in pilsen in the Czech Republic for example because of the water profile there.  Belgian ales were traditionally fermented naturally by wild yeast which is where you got the funky flavors from.  Since they used wild yeast from the air you really couldn't have a traditional Belgian if it was made some where else.  with todays technology you can brew different types of beer based on just the water profile if ya got hard or soft water.  same thing with yeast.  after a couple hundred years they have different strains of "Belgian" yeast.  most brewery's have their own cultures they use that are proprietary.  beer is a science most people don't realize the different styles and that beer is more vast in taste then wine IMHO. 

sorry for the hijack aw.  I brewed at one time.  haven't done it for a while but these beer posts might get me in the mood.  and I do love me some good beer. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Bills Custom Calls

Once you drink 6 or 8 of them does taste really matter any more  :shrug:

It never did to me  :laf:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

bigben

no not really.  but that is with any drink though.   :laf:
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

one of my favorite beers made with a belgian strain of yeast is brewed right here in harrisburg. 

http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/mad_elf_ale.aspx

The Mad Elf, a cheerful creation to warm your heart and enlighten your tongue. The combination of Cherries, Honey, and Chocolate Malts delivers gentle fruits and subtle spices. Fermented and aged with a unique yeast, this ruby red beer has significant warming strength that underlies the pleasant character of this intriguing yet delicious Ale. The Mad Elf, a jolly and delicious beer for the Holidays.

course it also has 11%abv a few of these puppies and your feelin good.

AWMiller

Quote from: bigben on February 25, 2011, 09:49:10 AM
sorry for the hijack aw.  I brewed at one time.  haven't done it for a while but these beer posts might get me in the mood.  and I do love me some good beer.

no apologies needed bro!  that's what I love about posting up these non-pro reviews.... there's no telling where they will go!