• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

New to the site and yotes

Started by rabbit16v, February 24, 2007, 11:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit16v

First off, I'ld like to say thanx to all that got this site up and running.  Next would be Hi to all the people that share the vast amounts of info that I've been reading over the past 3 days. 

I'm VERY new to predator hunting and see it as something to do after all other seasons close or there is a break in my work schedule.  I've been out 3 times this year since the close of deer season w/ absolutely no response to the calls that I'm aware of.  (BTW, 3 times in the last 3 weeks to be exact) 

When it comes to wind I feel that I've done good by keeping it in my face or a crosswind.  So I don't think that is the BIG issue.  I think the main factor would be location of the animals and stands.  I don't know where they are to begin a stand(s).  I hunt on public land (yellowbanks wma tract 4 if that helps) thats 1 1/2 hr. drive from my house so scouting and just going out to listen at times is as hard as it can get w/ my schedule.  The 3 times out we (buddy also) have seen sign (tracts, poo and feather piles) that they are there but just can't seem to call 1 in for the life of us.  The 1st day out we sat together and saw/heard nothing.  The next 2 times, I figured it would be better to split up and try to better our odds, still w/ no results.  We both setup FAR enough away from each other as to not disturb each other at all.  Both days we split up I sat in a narrow but LONG field in a tree line looking down the field about 200+ yrds.  The reason I choose to sit there was due to the 1st day out tracts were leading thru the field in a number of spots w/ an occasional pile of poo.   The first time out by myself I just kept moving down the field which I believe was one of my first mistakes.  But the 2nd day I moved from that spot to other spots also being large fields looking across them to the woods.  Doing all this thinking that the yotes would come out to the fields edge looking for the sound.  Both days having very high winds but still in favor from what I had thought.  Obviously, I know that I'm not going to call in something every time out or every stand but would like some pointers to help to get me off to a better start next time out.

Any help you vets can lend?

Josh

coyotehunter_1

First...  Welcome to FnF !! :biggrin:

If you have not already, I would recommend checking out the "A few Predator Primers... presorted topics" section at the top of this forum (predator hunting). If you still have specific questions  :confused: we have a good bunch of folks here that are always willing to help. :wink:

Chet

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Mallardsr

Welcome to the site Rabbit! Persistence will pay off!  :biggrin: RP

Bopeye

Hello Rabbit and welcome to the site. Be careful though......there's a few nuts here...... :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Chet beat me to it  :eyebrownod:

Welcome to the board rabbit.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

Wow that looks like a post I wrote a few months ago.

Hey Rabbit welcome to the board

Your post reminds me of the Questions I had when I first came to this board.
There is a lot of information in here do not try and learn it all at once. Find someone close to you that has some knowledge of coyotes and hunting them,and see if you can tag along and see how they hunt. That will help alot also.

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Jimmie in Ky

Glad to see you made it over here Rabbit. Do look over the primers we have at th top . Especially the ones about locating and see if that helps you out. Yellow banks is a long haul from here. Jimmie

rabbit16v

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on February 24, 2007, 04:42:14 PM
Glad to see you made it over here Rabbit. Do look over the primers we have at th top . Especially the ones about locating and see if that helps you out. Yellow banks is a long haul from here. Jimmie
Where's here for you?  Yeah, actually came over here from kentuckyhunting after you posted a link.  THANX!  Been looking over the primers and theres so much going on in them that I'm just getting OVERWHELMED!! Been reading them over and over the past few days before I decided to post. 

Don't know anyone that hunts for yotes but we wouldn't mind meeting up w/ someone to show us the ropes.  Just hope someone can deal w/ a lot of Q/A.

Josh

Jimmie in Ky

Where is Graves county at the other end of the state.

From what you told me in your message, I think your biggest problem is finding them . That is why I recomended the locating info at the top. Somewhere in there you should find some ideas that will help out.

The sounds you told me about are fine. One series you might want to try is a single series of rabbit, wait a few minutes, give a single lone howl, wait four or five minutes, and then go into a canine distress sound and keep it up for another thirty minutes or so. This would be a change up from what others are likely using in the area and should work if you are where they can hear it. That's the kicker though, you have to be where they can hear the sounds you are doing.

I sure hate the weather pattern that has set up though. When I have a few hours to hunt it's raining or the wind is doingf back flips. Jimmie

Bills Custom Calls

Josh

Trust me when I say This  is a great group of folks in here!![Bopeye included]They have put up with me and I will speak for them IT AIN'T EASY  :roflmao: I am pretty sure that if you have Questions some one here will answer you

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

CCP

WELCOME  I think you will enjoy it here.

First let me say Iam no expert on calling coyotes so take this advice with that in mind.

First thing I saw was the amount of hunting 3 times in 3 weeks and no coyotes? I have to say  I may go 20 sets at times without seeing a coyote. Sometimes I may see one three stands in a row just the way it goes. So DON'T give up keep at   them.

Secondly on public lands it is best to stay away from fields. I know you see sign there but more than likely they are there at night making this sign. Sometimes it's confusing reading sign we have a few places with lots of sign but no coyotes there. They simply pass through the area at night.

I guess my main point would be don't give up it seems after the first two or three you will have more confidence in what you are doing and will stay the course.

Iam sure there will be some others here with some more detailed advice I just ain't good at explaining on a keyboard.

Richard

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net