• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My European Moose mount

Started by iahntr, May 16, 2011, 09:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahntr

I told John I'd post a pic of my moose skull after I got done with it. We boiled it while I was up there yet,
then we scribed a couple marks on the backside of the base of the rack and skull for reference points, then
we cut the antlers off so I could fit them inside a box, basically stacked on top of each other, to fly home with me.
    First I drilled holes in the base of the antlers, and into the skull, then I epoxied lag bolts into the antlers and let
them dry, then lined em up and epoxied them into the skull. I filled in some with some wood filler, and sanded it
down flush. At this point instead of trying to mess around with boil/bleach etc. I decided to paint the skull with
some Kilz, then spray it some with an off white. Pics aren't the best, and I just hung it up in the garage wall for now,
but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Scott

FinsnFur

That turned out awesome Scott. I've never been a big fan of boiling cause it makes the bone porous if done too long, but that looks good. :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

George Ackley

NICE! congrats on the bull,look real good :congrats:
moose hunt is on my bucket list someday when i hit the lotto   :argh:
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

Tikaani

Looks really good Scott, seems like yesterday we were boiling and butchering.  I think the Kilz and and off white make a nice finished product and beat the hell out of peroxide.  I see there is still blood and the band on the antlers, I like that.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Hawks Feather

Nice looking mount, but how was the meat?

Jerry

HaMeR

Nice job Scott!! A fitting end to a great trip huh?  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

shaddragger

:yoyo: Looks great Scott! Memories for a lifetime!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

possumal

Great mount.  I know you'll enjoy having that to look at.  I think moose meat is the very best wild game I have ever tasted.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

lacie23

iahntr

Thanks a lot guys, and young lady  :biggrin:.
It brings back great memories every time I look at it.
Yeah John, that smell kinda sticks with ya doesn't it.  :laf:
and I thought I'd leave it the way it was and leave my tag
on it, gives it a personal touch. Jerry, the meat is VERY good ! 
Thanks again.
Scott

Dave

What a trophy that is.  I'm sure when you look at it you remember all the fun (that I'm sure was hard work) of a DIY style hunt.  I'm going to have to go back and check out that post on your hunt again (love that butchering set up that Tik has). 

iahntr

Thanks Dave.
Definitely good memories.
Scott

FOsteology

iahntr

Scott

Todd Rahm

Looks cool and nice job on it. I have always prefered that look over the full head mount too!!  If I'm ever lucky to score a real big one, I'll Euro it and then have hunting scenes carved in to the rack.  :biggrin:

iahntr

Thanks Todd. I really like the looks of a European mount too.
I have some deer skulls that I need to finish, I'm gonna use
this same paint method.
Scott