• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Coyote migration

Started by FinsnFur, February 21, 2007, 10:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

...for the Predator Primers..

Coyotes have certain areas that they like to use for bedding grounds, and certain areas they use for hunting grounds.

Some people believe that coyotes move into a different area dictated by season. Not bedding OR hunting, but both.
In other words they feel certain areas only hold coyotes at certain times of the year.

And some people say that is total BS.

Now we all know... that an average eastern Coyote anyway, actually has a pretty large home territory. Depending on populations of both civilization, and the coyotes themselves in a particular area.
So let's hear your thoughts on coyotes moving from one home territory to another as the seasons transpire, or how they relocate themselves within a home territory, as the seasons transpire.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bob D

So that's my problem, migration.......thought it was just my calling. Now I got an excuse why the coyotes aren't coming to my calls right now. I feel better already!

keekee

I don't know about migrating but they do move here inside there Territory's fairly often. Good examples being in the summer, they tend to spend more time in the thick cover close to the fields. The pups are young and the grass hoppers, frogs, mice and rats are good for them to learn to hunt on. As the fall progresses they tend to shift with the food, the hunting pressure, and the weather all play a roll in this.

When small game season starts you wont hardly ever find a coyote out in the open during day light hrs, after season slacks off then you will start seeing them some in the open. The coyotes here tend to move more with the food than anything, when it turns off butt cold, and there are no bugs, fruits, Berry's and such they will spend more time in areas with deer, turkeys, rabbits and birds. Here is the way I look at it. All animals shift with seasons and food. Deer move into winter patterns, and move with the acorns, same with the turkeys they move with the food as well. All the coyotes are doing is staying with the progression of the food chain.

In denning seasons all that goes out the window. The pups are the main focus and they will travel to were ever they haft to go to feed the pups. There territory (core area shrinks) And they are allot less tolerable to intruders in there core area then. Higgins worked with some science people that showed collard coyotes traveling something like 1 - 2 miles just to get water from the den site.

If the coyotes have a hot food source in there area then they will take full advantage of that till it is gone, then move on to another area to feed.

Brent

securpro

I believe that it is true that coyotes migrate from one area to another depending on the seasons ,also seems to be the same with deer,squirrels,rabbits and turkey. I have found that no matter what animal I am hunting during their season they all seem to have migrated to some other location and when I am not hunting a particular animal the others are all I see.  :wo:

SO IN THEORY COYOTES DO MIGRATE !!!!
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Bopeye

I don't know if they migrate in the true sense of the word. However, patterns shifting which are dictated by available prey as well as other intrusions is very conceivable.

I know one thing for sure........they migrate AWAY from me most the time.  :rolleye:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Jimmie in Ky

They stake out a territory and that is home for as long as they remain a mated pair. They don't migrate or change territories. They may expand territory size if the neighbors come up missing or major changes in travel lanes come about because of humans.

They will have a couple of places within that territory where they feel safe enough to bed down and take a nap or hide from us dingaling humans for a time. These they will switch up from time to time.These are often located in a few square miles of core area. Jimmie