• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My yearly trip back to WV

Started by Roundman, May 30, 2011, 03:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

I took a trip back home for a couple days. I was tied up at the mother in laws house most of the time, but I decided to get up real early and try to take a few pictures of my hometown. The town seems to be dying a slow death. It feels like there is more empty buildings on Main Street than ever before.  :sad: However, the towns buildings and surroundings  still hold a ton of character. I decided to just shoot whatever caught my eye for a couple hours. Hope ya like them.

The first was my old high school. The cliff you see was the center field home run fence during baseball season. How many schools have ya seen built on a cliff? My guess... not many.   The school has since been replaced by a new updated high school.

Next is the Robey theater. If I'm not mistaken it's the longest running theater in the country. I believe it started running silent movies around  1908. I took the family to see a movie this weekend. Not much inside the theater has changed in my life time. It still has the same feel as it always had. When was the last time you were in a movie house and it didn't have cup holders? I think the seats are from the 1920's. My big butt didn't fit all that well.

The next thing is some stained glass in a mausoleum. The mausoleum is very seldom open for people to view. The glass is covered from the outside to keep kids from busting out the glass. Most have driven past and didn't know how it looks from the inside.

And last are some pictures of a cemetery that is always decorated with great care.

What stands out in this photo?

Hawks Feather

Nice images and I am glad to hear that you got to go back home.  That is always special.  As for what stands out - the flags or the special "something" that I am sure didn't put the flags in the ground.

Jerry

Frogman

Roundman those are cool pictures.  Most of WV seems to be a few years behind the times.  I think I like it that way!  I know when you come home to visit you are busy with family, but if you ever have time to get in a few stands I would enjoy sharing them with you!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Roundman

Jerry
At times I think there are deer behind every tree. This was the last thing I expected to see running across the cemetery.

Jim
It did cross my mind to give ya a call. It's about a 7 hour drive to get there and before I could get my stuff out of the vehicle the ML said "I've got a job for you". I might of had four hours of down time the entire weekend.

iahntr

Thanks for sharing em.
Cool old theater there.
Scott

coyote101

Great pictures Mike.  :yoyo: :yoyo: Whatever type camera you are using does a great job.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

shaddragger

Always great to go home, but sometimes you hate to see how time marches on. Everything here is located by the highway now, and "downtown" is almost empty.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

msmith

Nice pix Roundman.  :yoyo: What year did you graduate? I was wondering if we might have some mutual acquaintances. I don't know a lot of people from around there, but working for the power company, I know a few.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Dave

Nice pictures.  Whenever we drive out to Columbus, we drive through parts of WV, and it's always enjoyable to me.

Roundman

Quote from: msmith on May 31, 2011, 08:29:13 PM
Nice pix Roundman.  :yoyo: What year did you graduate? I was wondering if we might have some mutual acquaintances. I don't know a lot of people from around there, but working for the power company, I know a few.

I graduated in 1989. I don't see many of the people I went to school with anymore, most of them have moved away.  I still see a lot of the older people I grew up around though. Would you happen to know the people that used to own Coopers Flower Shop?

FinsnFur

That was a nice catch Roundman :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Nice pics, Mike.  Seems like the only thing that is constant in this world is change. 

Do you know the Whites down in Boone County?

hunter724

Wow lots of WV people on here....my family is from the kingwood area...my wifes is from west union...we have a hunting cabin there but havent been down there much....since my medicines have went up so high for this stupid tick disease ive seemed to have....but i live 17 miles from the WV. line ...

i can drive that direction and hunt alot of farms if i head north in pa from my home there is a poster on every tree

Roundman

Quote from: Semp on June 01, 2011, 06:06:43 AM

Seems all the people in Boone County are white. You have to be more specific.  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

:laugh2: :laugh2:
Ya had to... I say ya had to see that one comin.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

shaddragger

Quote from: Roundman on June 01, 2011, 06:40:04 PM

Seems all the people in Boone County are white. You have to be more specific.  :biggrin:

BWAAAHAHAHA! Not enough smilies for that one!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

bambam

Nice pics Roundman. We don't have a theater but we do have one of the few Drive-ins left in the U.S.

KySongDog

Quote from: Roundman on June 01, 2011, 06:40:04 PM

I'm talking about these Whites.   :biggrin:

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

hunter724

Quote from: bambam on June 01, 2011, 07:51:28 PM
Nice pics Roundman. We don't have a theater but we do have one of the few Drive-ins left in the U.S.

come on lol......grafton still has a drive-in out in a hay field....

msmith

Quote from: Roundman on May 31, 2011, 09:35:45 PM
Quote from: msmith on May 31, 2011, 08:29:13 PM

I graduated in 1989. I don't see many of the people I went to school with anymore, most of them have moved away.  I still see a lot of the older people I grew up around though. Would you happen to know the people that used to own Coopers Flower Shop?

LOL, You're a young pup kinda. I don't know the people who own Coopers Flower Shop. The one's I know are Brabham, Burkhouse, Kelly, Cloutier, Lane and maybe  a few others. I did some work down there a few years ago and ran into a lot of nice poeple but for the life of me can't remember most of their names.

Hey hunter724, I ain't too far from West Union, just up route 18 a few miles. Gimme a holler when you're going to be down that way and I'll pop in for a visit. Maybe we'll go over to Stony's and see what kinda guns and stuff they have in stock.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI