• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bullet proof vest test

Started by Roundman, July 01, 2011, 06:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

While at the range today I was able to watch a bpv get shot over and over with a .45acp, .22lr, and a .357mag. I don't know the exact number of times it was hit but it was a bunch. The vest caught and slowed the bullets enough that most of the bullets didn't even mushroom. At the end of the test they cut the vest open to check for a failure. The vest worked as it should have. The vest was moved up to about five yards and they repeatedly shot it in the same spot with a .22lr. It finaly had a pass through after a good number of rounds. Not something you get to see every day. I thought it was cool.

On a side note...the Glocks shot without a problem. I found that when shooting fast with them I tend to shoot a little high.
On another side note...My daughter shot my new homemade target stand.  :sad: I got the standard "I'm sorry daddy".  :hahaha:

KySongDog

Did they say what brand of vest it was?

Roundman

Quote from: Semp on July 02, 2011, 01:52:25 AM
Did they say what brand of vest it was?
No, I did try to look at the tag but was unable to see the name. One of them stated that there was only one level of vest that was rated higher. This vest was supposed to stop a 7.62 round.

iahntr

That would be interesting.
I'm curious too, what the one above it could take then?
Scott

Hawks Feather

I didn't do a search, but wonder what the results would be for the 17HRM and the jackets.  Some of the jackets (or at least the ones years back) would stop bullets, but not knives.  I don't remember the reasoning, but read it on one of the jackets.  The 17 being smaller and higher velocity might pose a problem.  Again, I did NOT do a search to see, just here for a minute while Becky finishes up the home made ice cream mix.  Sure, everyone is invited over and it should be ready in about an hour. 

Jerry