• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Virginia Hunters

Started by awh, March 02, 2007, 11:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awh

Hi all. Joined a while back but haven't had time to post yet. Just wanted to see if there are any VA hunters out there and how your hunting was this past year.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

CCP

Only got to make 4 sets in VA this year we called a bobcat a fox and a coyote and got it on film. Unfortunately they were all misses :madd:

How is your season so far this year?
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I am not a Virginia hunter, but I did date a girl named Virginia many years ago.   :wink:

Welcome to the board.

Jerry

awh

Ended up with a couple of Reds. CAlled in several yotes & reds but it's hard not to get busted when your hunting partner is 8 years old. :laf:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

keekee

Welcome aboard!

8 Years old! But just think of how good he will be in a few years!  :congrats:

Brent

awh

Yeah my eight year old son is my hunting partner. He got his first deer this past season and wants a yote real bad.LOL

Todd Rahm

Sorry My bad  :rolleye: Misread the title of the post.   :innocentwhistle:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Welcome aboard though and I know we have at least one or two of your locals here.  :confused:

FinsnFur

:laf:...A'hm not sayin nuttin :innocentwhistle:
I'm just gonna click back and pretend I never come in here.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pruson

Actually it has been a great year of calling here in VA.  This is the first year where the Calling Season on furbearers extended through all of February, which encompasses most of the breeding seasons on Fox and Bobcat. We found that prey sounds worked very well ealry in the season, but as breeding became more of a priority and heavy on their minds, the prey sounds popularity fell off and the Fox vocalizations really started to work consistently, real consistently.

There are three of us who hunt together around here in between Richmond and Fredericksburg, mostly Hanover, King William and Caroline Counties. We combined for a kill of 34 foxes, mostly grays with a few reds tossed in. I called in one coyote right at the edge of dark on a powerline at 200+ yds, no shot taken. Called in one bobcat and was interupted by gunfire from a hunting partner shooting at a fox, :roflmao: I wanted that one bad,and was watching him do the sneak on the caller when a Gray tried to over-run our position. My shooting partner never knew the cat was even there.

The three of us all use the FX5 and shoot mostly the 22 Hornet. It was a very good year!

CCP

Wish we could have gotten in more than 4 set's.

pruson are these all day hunts or do you all hunt at night??  We also love pic's don't hold out we want pic's :highclap:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

pruson

CCP

The majority of our good fortune was at last light each day. That is my favorite set up, get in there about 30-45 mintues before sunset and then let everything settle down for awhile. We always try and be in the cover, cause they aren't coming out into the open fields that early in the evenings, they'll wait till total darkness. We set up on a two track or a clearing inside a cutover or a thicket. Between the three of us probably 75% of them were shot during last light of day. One of our trio killed sixteen with only two of them coming after dark.  I don't care for night hunting, but I will do it occassionally. There is just to much gear to tote around, batteries, lights for scanning, and lights for I.D. and shooting, callers. I will try and post some pictures of the plunder.