• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Wolf Pictures

Started by Tikaani, August 13, 2011, 10:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

Was out and about the other night with Dian and bumped into this gal.  She did not seem to mind us, allowed my wife to take some pictures, we watched her for a few minutes and then she trotted off.   

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

coyote101

Great pictures John.  :highclap: :highclap: She looks pretty thin in the body, but she has huge paws. I would love to see one in the wild.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

riverboss

You are a luck fellow to live in such a wonderfull place were you can see such beauty.I can only hope to be able visit such a place. Thanks for the pictures. :yoyo:

Hawks Feather

I always thought that they were pretty shy when it comes to two legged animals.  I guess she knew that the fur was not prime and you just wanted to be friends.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Thats really cool. :yoyo:
She look like a youngun
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

I think maybe she's looking around for a moose lunch.   

Nice pics, John.   

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

possumal

Thanks for sharing the great pictures, John.  I'll bet when she gets into a prime winter coat, she'll be a sight to see for sure. Long legged rascal.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Hidehunter

:yoyo:  Beautiful.  Would love to see that.
Denver                                           

coyotehunter_1

Neat photo capture!  :congrats: John, do you see a lot of wolves up there?

Not to side track your thread but I noticed how much that wolf favors some of the coyotes I've seen around here.  Where wolves are protected I could see where a predator hunter could get himself into deep poo. Mistakenly shooting one of those for a coyote would ruin a good day.  In the past, in certain parts of Tennessee, our state wildlife agency turned several pairs of red wolves loose. The last I heard their reintroduction experiment had failed, no wolves in the wild. We do have some coyotes that go up to 45-50 pounds but that is not the norm, mature coyotes average around 30 pounds here.

Tell Dian she did well with the camera... again.  :highclap:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Okanagan

Great pics!  Thanks.

I was in N. Saskatchewan this week and a trading post up there had a bunch of tanned wolf hides for sale, most of them very light colored, some of them nearly white.  I'd take any color that will let me get a shot at it!

John_NY

Nice picture. I'm hoping a friend of mine fills his tags this winter so I can get a nice wolf hide.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Coulter

Very cool Pics John! Just a guess, but would would estimate that gal to be on the young side judging by her body mass and proportion?

Steve

shaddragger

Dang John, that is ultra-cool!!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Tikaani

I have had a couple of discussions with a biologist about wolves in the summer months.  One reason for their lack of weight during these months is that the pack is stationary due to pups and as such it can not follow caribou herds and hunt as a pack.  I have been told and observed that it is common to see solitary wolves out hunting whatever they can this time of year.  Everything is brought to the den for the pups, they are the packs priority.  It is possible for a lone wolf to bring down a moose or caribou but I don't believe the pack will leave the den or the pups to get to it, they generally stay put until fall.  She may have been out hunting or may be a lone wolf without a pack.  As for her color she could easily be mistaken for a coyote at a distance, the pictures really do not give away her true size, she was every bit of 27-28 inches at the shoulders, but there is no mistaking those long legs and huge paws.  Again not scientific proof, just my observations and small talk with a biologist.  We are glad you enjoyed the pictures.

John

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

fuzz269

Great pix, I would also say it is a young wolf, just judgin by how her body is filled out, depth of chest and such, head isnt to wide yet either.  I have a bunch of wold pix from the last few seasons but in most of mine the wolfs arnt so lively  :eyebrownod: