3 (17.6%)
The Lines Need Work
7 (41.2%)
Scrap It!!!
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 07, 2007, 10:28:36 PM

MattS

Here is one that was kind of an accident.  I am sure every call maker has them all the time.  It's not what I intended on.  But I did knda like how it turned out.  This is a piece of Lacewood and it is about 3 inches tall.  It has a 5/8 bore and another little added feature.  It has a double reed system.

Don't forget to be honest and give me your opinion.

FinsnFur

Is it the glare or is the hole off center?  Not a an issue to me, but look who your talking to  :biggrin:

The shape doesn't do anything for me, but didn't see an option on the poll for the appearance. Other then that...I'm sure it'll call a yote  :eyebrownod: Keep em comin
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

It is very hard to photograph a call so that it looks as good in your hand as it does in the picture.  But the way you turned this tells me a couple of tings.   The lines show that the call would fit nicely in the web between the thumb and forfinger and the ball middle gives you something to hold on to while the short tapered barrel means you can use your last couple of fingers to control the sound.

It may not win any beauty contest but it is a very good basic functional call.   Lohman still sells some of the ugliest wooden calls you will ever find in a bubble pack and they have been for a long time.   If you were looking at making a nice hunting call, you accomplished what you were after and gave te customer a comfortable call to use in the field.

One thing that might make an appearance differeence is to use a small scraper, or make one, for your lanyard groove.  That way it would be rounded and flow with the rest of the call instead of being square.   On the other hand, a lanyard will never slip off that one, and again, is a great feature of an honest working call.

My only other comment is when you enlarge the mouth piece end of a call, you need to seat the reed deeper in the call.  There is the possability that a caller might hit the reed with his tongue otherwise. 

I didn't vote in the pole, but it looks to me like you have a very nice working class call, and, more importantly, it appears that you have done some things to this call that you have not done on your others, which means you are pushing yourself to learn new techniques on the lathe.  And that is a GOOD thing. 

I like your call.  I would stick it on a lnayard and hunt the heck out of it.   And I have no doubt that it would  call coyotes.

Nice job

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Member - Custom Call Makers & Collectors Guild & Call Makers & Collectors Association of America
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

MattS

I will admit that it is not the best looking thing in the world and I never had the intension putting it out for the world.  A buddy of mine wanted a double reed.  Since it is a goof up call, I won't feel so bad giving it to him.  I really love the sound of the double reeds.  I am thinking of doing more in that regards.  Just not in this style of body.

The off center looking part was just me using a drill to chamfer the hole.

Thanks for your honesty.  It was a different looking call and I was kinda up and down on it myself so I thought I would try out the poll system and see what everyone else thought.  My next one will be nicer.

Fireball221

Kind of remind me of the old hard to find Black Duck Fox call of long ago, the shape that is.  If the mouthpiece were a little taller I think I could say that it really looks nice but in my own opinion the shape as it is now doesn't do much for me.  But that's just me.  I too am sure it will call critters.  I like the double reed system though, reminds me of Zepp's call.

dukxdog

LIFE MEMBER NRA & GOA
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense."
"On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who, on the dawn of victory, lay down their weary heads resting...and there resting, died."