• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Another Oak Burl....

Started by Yotehntr, October 30, 2011, 01:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Think I'm going to have to talk Bill into some more of this stuff.. This one sold before I had the chance to think it over good enough.. one of my favorites...  It was about like balsa wood when I got it, so I sent it off to have stabilized... It didn't really need a finish after that.. after I turned it I buffed it out and added some oil.. heck it took my breath away then...  Just something about hitting some domestic wood that makes the "exotics" drool tickles the heck out of me.

It's a Red Oak Burl barrel.. put an Elk antler Bead on it...  it's followed with an o-ring fitted stabilized antler toneboard. I've been playing with the finish's lately.. I like the CA finish.. just tough as nails.. some folks don't like the high gloss though.. started playing around and this is a CA satin finish on the barrel... I still use the high gloss on the toneboard though (doesn't show well in the pics)  the smooth of the high gloss makes it move better when you use it.  Here are some pics...

Thanks for lookin!

Hey Bill... bring that 60 lbs of burl you have left... I'd be happy to put it on my bandsaw! 

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Bills Custom Calls

Very nice job Brad
I feel bad that this call sold so fast for ya
I am thinking about cutting that big burl up into turkey pot blanks  :innocentwhistle:  :doh2:  :alscalls:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Very nice :eyebrow:  Of course I wouldnt expect anything else :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

WldWldWest

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Yotehntr

Thanks guys!  I'm really liking the satin finish's! 

FOsteology

Another fantastic looking call.

Question: What do you use to seal the tone board? Elk and Red deer antler are extremely porous, so I imagine it can present a challenge?

Yotehntr

I turn the toneboards down close to the size I use... then I ship 'em off to have stabilized...  I have a page on my homepage describing the process a little bit.. I'll copy/paste it here...  minus any sales pitchy stuff.

About Stabilizing

The process is intended for wood or antler that is porous and not much good for anything if it’s not done. In this process they submerge the wood or antler in a chamber filled with acrylic resin. A vacuum is pulled on the chamber removing all the air from the wood/antler. When the vacuum is removed air pressure is added to assist/push the acrylic resin into the wood/antler. From here the wood/antler is put into an oven, and this hardens the resin. All that is left is a much heavier and “stabilized” piece of wood or antler. Where all the air gaps were, it is now acrylic. I personally like the natural look and usually have mine done with clear acrylic. 

For what it's worth the stabilized antler toneboards end up with the crisp sound of an acrylic toneboard but the look of antler.

I don't have to do this with the bead material... I get antler that is pretty close to the diameter of my bell (about 1 1/2") the outside of the antler is usually very solid anyway... I just drill out the porous stuff.   :wink:

Frogman

Brad,

That's another beautiful call!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!