• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Another Old Hog

Started by Carolina Coyote, September 24, 2012, 05:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

I was down in Georgia this past weekend , checked some of the camera's I had out on a Peanut field, one field had sign that Hogs had been rooting up some Peanuts, looked at what was on the Camera and there was 8 Hogs on the Camera, several about the size in the pictures and several that would go 300 lbs plus. Went back to the field that evening with a friend to see if we could both get a shot at one, about 7:00 a bruiser stepped out looked over the field, could have shot him but waited hoping more would come out but the sucker turned and went back into the thicket, The wind was hitting me in the face and it smelled like a Hog parlor so I knew it was just a matter of time until some more came out and about 7:30 I saw 2 more come out in the peanut patch, no waiting this time, one of the hogs was rooting peanuts and I placed the Cross hairs between his ears and when he started raising up to were I could see his eyes the Cross Hairs was spot on right between his eyes, squeezed the trigger . Bang Flop, that's him in the pictures. Went back the next morning just as daylight was breaking and the field had fog over most of the field so I sneaked down one edge of the field in a tree line and when I got about halfway down I could see two  big Hogs out in the field, 300 lbs Plus. Same situation as the evening before hog with its head down rooting peanuts , I had carried a little stool to sit on so I placed it were I could lay the rifle over a limb for a rest, placed the cross hairs between his ears waited until he started raising his head and when the cross hairs was between his eyes I squeezed the trigger, after the recoil I only seen one hog run so I'm thinking he's laying over there but when I got there "No Hog" Now let me tell you I ain't going into that thicket after a wounded 300 lb wild Boar hog, but I checked the camera and the video showed his running into the thicket wounded .
We scouted around some of the other fields and found more sign where hags had been in the fields also had them on some of the other cameras that we had out.
cc

Todd Rahm

Nice Ham!!!!!!! :biggrin: Sometimes I think I live in the wrong state.  :wo:

KySongDog

Quote from: Todd Rahm on September 24, 2012, 10:28:48 PM
Nice Ham!!!!!!! :biggrin: Sometimes I think I live in the wrong state.  :wo:

If'n I was younger I'd be in your state, Todd.   As for the hogs, those vermin are a scourge on the land.   Nice shootin', cc.

coyote101

I'd love to be able to shoot some hogs, but I'm glad we don't have a bad problem with them here.....yet. :whew: Nice shooting Carl.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

I'm with Pat on this one. Good shooting & glad you got rid of that big pest. We have some here in Ohio but it's not bad. Yet anyway.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Yep, good shooting and should be good eating.  Bacon anyone?

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

We have not had a major problem in  the past , this year there has been more rain and with the standing water in the Swampy areas , fields planted in peanuts and Soybeans, it could get out of hand , for sure the next few weeks there should be plenty of opportunities to harvest a little bacon, talking with one of the farmers that leases some of our land there are other farms very near to us that is over run with hogs and the owners are having a hard time leasing out the land to farmers because of the crop damage, I will be going back down this coming weekend and plan to check them out again. cc

Dave

Nice shooting CC.  Are the boars good eatin?  I'm not sure whether I read it somewhere or heard it, but thought that they are real gamey tasting if the potatoes aren't lopped off when they're young.  Hope you get some more action.

Carolina Coyote

To me the Boars are not fit to eat but there are people that we know that will take anything so we don't let them go to waste if recoverable , we try to kill everyone we see as they can really destroy the crops and if they get to bad the Farmers will not lease the land, we will be putting out some traps when hunting season opens and someone will be down there just about every day to tend them, from what I saw last weekend we will have lot of activity, the Hogs are really multiplying in Georgia. Another problem is getting them processed, not many places will process wildhog and with the weather so hot down there they spoil pretty quickly. cc

FOsteology

Laying the smack down on feral hogs is always enjoyable. Haven't had any hogs on my patch of ground I hunt since last year.

They can cause some serious damage and put a hurt on farmers. Not uncommon for them to root up as much as 40 acres in a night with a large enough group.

iahntr

Nice !  I'm headed down to Oklahoma on Friday to do the same  :biggrin:
Scott