• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My Opening Day...(Long Read...OK pretty much a Novel)

Started by Hidehunter, September 30, 2012, 10:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidehunter

Started the day off in my doe stand since all the action at my good stands have been in the evenings.  2 does came in right after daylight but I never got a good shot at them.  I got out of there at about 10:30am and headed for my good stand to go after Ol Crab Claw (Nice Buck I've been watching all year).  I jumped some does walking into the stand.  i get up in my stand and get comfy and prepare for the long haul.  I didnt see anything except a huge Squackzilla in tree above me dropping 4 lb acorns on my head for hours.

At a little over an hour before dark, about a year and a half old doe comes down my trail.  She starts meandering around under my stand eating some of the 4 lb acorns squackzilla had dropped.  She hadnt been there very long when this big old mature doe shows up.  The old doe curls her lip up like an old buck does and dropped her head down low and slowly approached the young doe. I guess the lil doe got the point because she took off like a bullet.  Now its just me and the old doe and I am wishing she had been at my meat stand that morning.

I had checked my pics from my camera on my lil hand held and Ol crab Claw hadnt made an appearance for quite a while so I figured I was just gonna enjoy the scenery for the evening.  That all changed with a snapping of a twig and a glance to my left.  THERE HE WAS...Not Ol Crab but the biggest Buck I have ever seen in my life.  Granted my wall is not filled with 160" bucks and my biggest is a 120's and I have 3 on the wall but I have seen 150" bucks and this Ol boy was bigger than them.  The thing about him is he was only a mainframe 8 with liter bottle horns and WIDE and TALL and beautiful.  He was beautiful with very dark chocolate horns (like ya see in the lower 4) and his body was massive and very dark to.  He may have also been one of the darkest deer I have ever seen to except for the gray around his eyes and nose.  When he walked his body moved like a well oiled machine with the muscles bulging with every step.

He came down the path and walked behind the tree I had my camera set up on and stopped at 15 yards from me.  This was the moment that I started quivering (OK more like shaking...OK OK I bout had a dang seizure).  There was about a 12' sappling between us and the limbs and leaves were all that was blocking my shot but the old mature doe is still there to on the other side of me.  At this time, I cant move at all because Im surrounded by smart mature deer.

I guess there was a big pile of Acorns there because that big Huge buck decided to stand in that one spot forever. I am talking 10 minutes. i have never been so tore up in my life. I was trying to concentrate on my breathing and I remember praying 'Just help me control myself and not let me have a heart attack sittin in this tree'.  Its kind of embarrassing to admit but you guys did not see this Buck.

The wind was perfect and he was comfortable.  I knew he was gona walk right into my shooting Lane so all I needed was for the old doe to either go over there with him so I could watch them at the same time or even better, I wished she would just leave.  Thats when she turned and went on down the trail out of sight.  PERFECT...just me and him.  He puts his head back down and I reach over and grab my bow and it sets comfortably in my hand.  At this time I am giving myself a pep talk and trying to concentrate on my form just to keep my uncontrollable excitement down.  i have all the faith in the world in my shooting abilities due to all the practice and I know the Rage will do its job.  He takes about 4 steps and is WIDE OPEN and broad side.  I put my release on my string and wait for him to put his head down to draw.  He turns his head and is now looking in the complete oposite direction of me...picture perfect.  I raise the bow and just barely put tension on the string when all of a sudden i hear the worse thing ever...That old doe had turned around and came back and seen me drawing on him and she snorted.  She didnt even get half a snort out and he was gone.  He didnt get that big by being stipid.  My heart Sank.

He never once knew I was in the world, and was looking in opposite direction when she snorted and he didnt take the time to turn around and see why so I dont think he ever knew I was there.  I know this is gonna sound crazy but i was relieved when he left and I could start coming back to my scenses.  I know if it wouldnt have been for that old doe Id be posting pics of him now but thats part of it.  last night I was all bent out of shape but looking back this morning I am just glad I got to experience it.  i waited till way after dark to climb down and when I did I heard deer snorting over toward where they run...I hope he wasnt still over there.  i doubt he comes back by there anymore (especially in the daylight) but I am not gonna hunt it for a couple of weeks. Its gonna be hard on me but I think thats the best idea.  As I was walking out I named him Hershey's Kiss because of his Dark Chacolate appearance and i mite as well Kiss his butt goodbye because I doubt I see him again.  He was an amazing Mountain Deer...What dreams are made of
Denver                                           

Okanagan

What a GREAT story!  Really pulling for you to get him before the year is done.

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

weedwalker

Great Story!! I was shaking right there with ya Denver. :eyebrownod:

HaMeR

How cool that must have been!!!!!!! Great write up!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

shaddragger

:yoyo: Awesome story! Tough break from the doe but what an experience just to see a buck of that caliber!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Hawks Feather

Nice update and since he is not going on your wall (today) he can continue to grow with time you retell the story.

Jerry

nastygunz

WOW!....well it aint over till the fat squackzilla sings....I hope you stick him good ! :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hidehunter on September 30, 2012, 10:06:31 AM
  He didnt get that big by being stipid. 

Your exactly right. And you gotta accept some credit for even setting yourself up to be able to him in the situation he was in.
He'll be back, and so will you.
Awesome write up by the way. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Damn does that suck.  I've been caught and cover blown many times by deer other than the one I'm targeting.  However, nothing that I can specifically remember, so nothing Muy Grande.  That one will haunt you until you either close the deal or dementia sets in.  Hoping the deal gets closed and we all get a nice, close up look at this guy.

Hidehunter

Thank You guys and I hope I get a close up of him.  I'm hoping it cools down some.  Its mid 70s here today.  Last year on this date I was freezin the boys off while under dressed in my stand getting snowed on.
Denver                                           

nailbender

Great write-up, felt your pain when he bolted. Good luck!  Hope you get him!