• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What kinda wood is this?

Started by FinsnFur, December 31, 2012, 05:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

It's ring porous like elm...  No oak rays present...If it splits crappy, then it's probably elm.  Elm has spiral grain that defies normal splitting.  Could be hackberry?

Hawks Feather

Jim,

I think the best question is, how does it burn?

If you did find out and ask for the next load of wood to be all _______ (whatever it is) would you know if they gave you what you wanted?   :shock2:

Jerry

FinsnFur

Jerry, It burns like 3 or 4 2x6's all nailed together in a tight block. (Kinda fast) It acts like pine, but I know it's not.

I doubt I would know if they gave me all of what I wanted or not because I cant identify all the woods. But I'd know this when I see it, and the fact that i'm not getting much burn out of it so I dont like it.
I'd know Oak cause it's heavy, reddish, stringy and burns hot and slow.

But I pretty much load myself when I go get wood from the guy anyway. He's 423 years old, and needs to shave his ears and eye brows :laf:
He thinks he helps but he'll get 4 or 5 pieces in the truck when it's all said and done. But he's super nice and if he grabs something he's not sure if I'll like or not after dealing with me for a while now, he'll ask me...."something like this ok?".
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

The Bark looks like Chestnut Oak to me but the Wood looks like Ash.  :shrug: cc