• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Puma quarry

Started by snafu, May 11, 2013, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

This is the rock quarry. That 3 nights ago. A guy who I spoke with on the phone. Seen a puma chase some animal out of. This quarry is 1-mile long & is adjacent to the river. There is a small town on the NorWest edge of the quarry land. I looked for tracks on the quarry driveway, where the lion ran across. Couldn't detect any. Anyway so I drove around checking along the two timbered creeks, that feed into the river near the town & the quarry. I then drove into the small town to see if any people were out & about. There was, so I stopped & questioned them about puma sightings in the area. Both men had seen them.

One guy told me last deer season. He seen a young puma not far from him in the timber along the large timbered creek. That spooked him, because he figured the female was nearby. So he left that area quickly.

The other guy told me last deer season he seen. A female with two sub adults along the large timbered creek. He said the cubs were quite small for that time of yr he thought. I got to say, hearing that. Gave me a big dung eating grin, lol.

For now anyway, I'm thinking that quarry is probably their main core area. As they branch out up & down along the river & the feeder creeks. The large set of tracks I posted in the other thread. I believe are that of the resident male.
Which I found aways down river a few months ago.

"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

Hawks Feather

Iowa doesn't have a season for large cats, does it?  It would be nice to see them.  I saw one a few years back in Rocky Mountain park.  It walked into the end of an empty (except for us) parking lot, glanced our way, and was gone. 

Jerry

snafu

Their not protected... open season.

nailbender

Get 'em buddy.  Twas a female with a yearling in my neighborhood for awhile.  Couldn't get on their home ground.  I knew were it was, just couldn't get in.

snafu

Its going to be a long wait, Dave. For the next snow cover. I hunted hard from LeGrand up to Union last Winter. I wish now I would've hunted another 10 miles up stream. My Northern hunt border for a puma. Was the South end of that quarry, then down stream to LeGrand. Anyway none of them have been killed. So atleast one should be in that area next season. I now have hope in my soul, or vice versa, lol.