• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Dad's old 222

Started by HaMeR, March 17, 2012, 02:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaMeR

Back in 1965 Dad went to the hardware store for a new varmint rifle. By that time in his life he & Mom were raising 3 kids.  So we ate what he shot. He was also looking to stretch his shooting out past the 150yds that the 22Hornet offered him. And to find a round that was easier on brass than the Hornet. He brought home this Revelation in 222 for $50 brand spanking new!! Aahhh the joy of an affordable rifle huh?? Well this gun has shot a ton of game since the day it was paired with Dad. I remember standing next to him in the basement cleaning primer pockets for it & running a brush inside the case mouth for him. Later on he let me use the hand primer. "Boy could we load some rds with me priming them for him" he used to say.  :bgrin:  Heck he had me believing we were fast anyhow.  :lol:  So after a couple thousand rds I finally ended up with it. She's a real beauty what with the old side mount scope mount and all.  :bgrin: :bgrin:
She has a few character marks on her that I will just restain & wipe some oil over. That should be just what she needs to last us the rest of our life together. I can't wait for Diane to shoot her 1st groundhog with it!!!!!!!  :bgrin: :bgrin:

The sling is believed to be,, Dad can't say for certainty altho he did say it was highly possible,, the very same sling that Dad used in 1951-52. It was government issued back then. He is a Korean War Veteran.

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

A Savage model 340!  I first held one in .30-30 that belonged to my Father inlaw.  It now sits proudly in my gun safe, a gift after he stopped hunting.  Those guns have alot of character.  If they could only talk..
I saw one in .222 a few months back up at the gun shop up the road.  I almost bought it, but ended up setting it back on the rack.  As I already have a triple duece in a Remington 700.  I'll be looking forward to seeing Diane, Savage in hand with a chuck sprawled out.  A fitting tribute, and another tale to add to your Dad's rifle. :congrats:

Dave

Hawks Feather

I love .222's and this one is extra special for you.  I am assuming some of the "character marks" were put there by his son - the one that helped him reload.    :biggrin:  I am glad you now have the rifle and all the memories that go along with it.

Jerry

riverboss

Thats great Glen i realy enjoyd your story, $50.00 bucks for a new rifle seems cheap now but man that was alot of money back then, i sure hope to see some pics of those ground hogs.

HaMeR

Thanks guys!!  If the weather cooperates for a little while today we will sight her in for us. Then stop by a couple fields on the way home. Diane will get to shoot the 1st hog with it too. I think she is looking forward to it. I know I am. And yes Jerry. I'm sure I put a ding or scratch on her too.  :doh2:   This Summer will be fun!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyotehunter_1

I can see a bunch of hero shots in the future...groundhogs beware! Although ya' better be a mite careful there Sir Glen... the Lady Diane may just lay a claim to that little shootin' iron. :doh2:  :eyebrownod:

I have found, used within it's limitations, the 222 Rem. to be a pretty good coyote cartridge too. :wink:

Side note:
QuoteHe is a Korean War Veteran
Tell him thanks for his service, from us baby boomers.  :highclap:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

HaMeR

I can see a bunch of "good" hogs with it too Chet.  :biggrin:  No need to worry about this one getting away. I gave Diane the 221FireBall back in January making it official.  :laf: :laf:   I do plan on carrying it for coyotes too. I am open to any bullet or range suggestions you have with it. My ideal range on a coyote is under 200yds. Let me know if I'm way out of line here.

I'll tell Dad you said Thanks.  I will say "You're Welcome" in advance.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Thats pretty cool Glen.
Did you just get it, or just decide to get it out?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Glen,

That's a nice rifle!  .222 is usually very accurate cartridge!  Nice heirloom!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

nastygunz

Cant put a price on those memories with your Pa!

coyotehunter_1

Glen, you are correct. Most bullet data I have read suggests that 200-225 yards is about the maximum effective range limit of the 222 on small varmints.
Coyotes @ 200? Over the years, my successful coyote encounters are somewhat meager compared to some people that live in areas where coyotes have maintained a high population for decades. I can only tell of what has worked for me. Will a 222 work well on coyotes @ 200 yards? I can’t say from experience. Why?  For me, being a southern woods hunter, the average called in target distance will more likely be closer to 50 feet… not 200 yards. The little triple duce is mainly used while calling where it has proven its effectiveness many times over. I will brag a bit and say I’ve killed a few “coyotes of opportunity” at distances well past 200 yards, but I was using one of my more powerful 243’s and that’s like comparing apples to oranges.
Anyways, as you know, there are many excellent bullet choices on the market today. Placed accurately most of these projectiles will suffice for popping varmint critters including coyotes. Personally, just to name a few, I’ve encountered excellent performance from the likes of the Hornady SXSP 55 grain bullet (originally designed for the 222 Rem.),the 55 grain Sierra # 1360 Varminter Spitzer and the Remington  55 grain Core- lok, leaving the tube @ around 3000 fps mv. You may notice I tend to lean towards heavier weight bullets for coyotes.

Now "nuff stuff" about me :innocentwhistle: back to Glen's 222.  :wink: :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Hidehunter

I have been wanting a 222 for some time now.  Thats a fine rifle there and the memories to go with it are priceless.
Denver                                           

coyote101

Good deal Glen. That's a family treasure for sure.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Thanks everybody.  I'm very proud to have this rifle.  :biggrin:

Jim-- I've had it for a week or 2 now. I thought I posted it here but apparently I hadn't. The nice weather has gotten me back to work & cleaning up outside plus doing some shooting & shed hunting. Guess I missed posting here & on another board.  :laf:

Thanks Chet!!  I'm going to look into the 55's for this one.  Di shoots 50's in her 221 so I feel confident the 55's will be great in the 222. I appreciate your input & your words of wisdom are always Welcome.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HaMeR

Stopped down to help Dad yesterday afternoon. I asked him if he had any 222 brass left laying around. So we went to the basement & found 50 new pieces plus another 50 or so several times fired pieces. About 75 40gr V-Max & maybe 75 50gr V-Max.  His old RCBS 222 dies & some plastic shell holders. Plus the wood tray there he made to set his primed & charged cases in as they awaited their bullet.   Add this to the 100 new pieces I got last week along with the 500  50gr Sierra BK's & I'm just a  :biggrin: :biggrin: !!!!!!!!!!!

I will end up with all his reloading stuff eventually. Rifle, handgun & shotgun. I had a hard time taking the rifle last year as it was & he said he might load some more 44's one of these days. The press & everything else is still there. I'm in no hurry at all to bring that stuff up here. He's had it all since before I was born.

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Looks like you have a little (fun) work ahead of you.  Now go get started reloading so the Princess will have something new to shoot.

Jerry

FinsnFur

It's like crack HaMeR,  once you start everyone on the board teases you but you cant SSSSSStop. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com